5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Taking Bets!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:30 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Taking Bets!

yeah i trust roundman more than anyone. There are a few other people also but roundman has the most experience.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:35 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

yeah i trust v fast and MD and nomo too and others but roundman is the man when you have a problem. he will go out of his way to give you tips and ideas you can try to get your car fixed. 4 words that describe him. one of a kind.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

you can run with out the belt. But as soon as ur done put the belt back on from that one run and bring some ice to ice down ur intake it helps a bunch. if it was me and my first time i would run it in street trim.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:25 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Im gonna go out on a limb and say its gonna be a 15 second pass. With the car being lowered traction is gonna suck.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:42 PM
4.6-GetBlown
1st Gear Member

quote:

ORIGINAL: NegadivOne

you can really take off the whole belt? It wont screw anything up?

he was kidding. your car will over heat. i say 14.9
I wasn't kidding. You can take off the belt for a run and it won't hurt it. But you need to put it back on obviously.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:43 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yes im gonna say low 15s also
Old 08-20-2004, 07:08 PM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Im gonna go out on a limb and say its gonna be a 15 second pass. With the car being lowered traction is gonna suck.
Yeah Ive been told lowering hurts your traction, but why is that?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:02 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Because you have changed the suspension rates as well as the 'instant center' of the car......
Old 08-21-2004, 11:14 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

After all that praise, I don't know what to say guys except [sm=thanx.gif]
tinman is right but what he could have said is the car won't transfer weight to the rear for better traction as well as it could before it was lowered.

My best guess on your times will be low 15's to high 14's based on what you say you have. In decent air conditions, 14's are a possibility. Lose as much weight out of it as you can and don't have a full tank of gas either if you can make that work out for you. I wouldn't recommend bypassing the smog pump or removing the air filter or drive belt on your first outing to the track, you will be nervous enough without worrying about those things. besides, you want to get a good baseline on what the car can do basically stock before you start trying mods on it so you can have something to compare the mods to in order to see what good if any they do for you at the track. you can use the burnout box, but DO NOT SPIN YOUR TIRES IN THE MAIN PUDDLE, just pull slowly through and slightly past the water and then spin the tires briefly to clean off the rocks and stuff and get a little heat in them. Spinning in the water box is a big rookie mistake, all this does is throw water all up in the fenderwells where it will drip back down on the tires and track at the line and you will spin rather than hook up. Don't worry about your reaction times either, they don't affect the ET or speed one bit and you will be slow or red lite once anyway you go. ha, ha
If you have a small garden sprayer, bring it with you and use a fine mist of spray on the front side and back side of the radiator between passes to cool off the engine a bit better than just letting it sit with the hood up. don't spray too much water so you are dripping wet when you pull out to go to the staging lanes either and don't spray down the motor either. You are there to have some fun, so loosen up and have some. Do carry a tire gauge and let the pressure down in the rears to about 24 or so and see how this works. Most tracks have compressed air at the maintenance shed so you can pump them back up after you race but if this one don't, then make sure you know where the nearest gas station with an air compressor is so you can pump them up before you drive too far on the way home. What did I leave out, oh yeah, make sure the radiator overflow bottle is attached and not too full of coolant where it will leak on the track. Track tech people hate to clean up antifreeze off the track so don't leak any or they will give you real dirty looks. Make sure the battery is securely fastened down and remove any loose wheel covers or hub caps from the wheels before you go to the tech line as they will tell you to take them off anyway. One last thing, and don't laugh, I've seen this happend and the track announcer will tell you this, especially on street nights. DON'T SIT IN THE STAGING LANES AND RUN YOUR AIR CONDITIONER just because it may be hot out. This guarantees you will possibly be dripping condensate from the evaporator coil and they will shut you off and chase you off the starting line if they see you doing this too! If the track scales are open you can go weigh your car so you know what it weighs too. And if you have a portable temperature and humidity gauges, bring it along and record the weather conditions after each pass you make so you can compare future runs to them in similar weather condtions. One last thing, make sure you know where the car is in the other lane before you attempt to turn off the track, you don't want to turn across in front of him and cause a wreck! You'll probably be the slower car anyway and he will be in front of you so you can see him, but still be watchful of where the other car is in the shutdown area.
And so you won't feel bad, my first time at the track back in June '94 with my heavy AOD hatch (3460 lbs w/me in it) with 2.73 gears and an almost bald right rear tire, I ran 15.45 seconds at 89.80 mph letting the tranny shift for itself. It was later in September after a few mods like pulleys and slicks and a chip before I finally broke into the 14's on the 49th pass the car ever made.
Have fun and keep us posted on the results, we want to see some timeslips!

PS: notice the nice weight transfer I'm getting in the pic in my sig! 9" slicks with a 4.57 rear w/spool, HPM upper and lower control arms, Eibach drag springs and 90/10 front struts with a 2,500 rpm stall converter and only 3,200 lbs w/driver now! 1.77 60' times and 13.50's in the 1/4 mile! with a tired stock '88 5.0![sm=trust_me.gif]

Quick Reply: Taking Bets!