5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So many variables when doing an engine build..need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:05 AM
bxershrts

Default So many variables when doing an engine build..need suggestions

In an earlier post I had I explinaed that the 302 in my stang is dead. I have a fuel injected 302 mustang block that I am going to rebuild. My car is an 82 GT came with a 2bbl carb. . This will be a street car I am not out to make loads of HP. Just what ever I get from this build ..is what i will have. I have a 302 fuel injected roller cam mustang block with low km's, 50,000km for the re-build... i will get it magna fluxed and decked..anything else?

Is it advisable to re-use the crank..I will get it balanced, If not i will get a stroked crank. Also if anyone has put in a stroker crank..are there any cons to this for daily driver, and nothing over 6000 rpm...ever?
Now if I buy a crank should i get the 50 or 28 ounce imbalance? and preference?

Now in regards to rods and pistons. I want to .30 over the block, suggestions...

I have an older edlebrock performer intake..dual plane. Is this advisabel to use? Remember streetability

Now about heads. the AFR SBF 185 are the heads I will buy. Do they come set up for roller cam?

What about rockers? 1.6 or 1.7..then push rods... and springs ..if the heads are bare..or upgrade?

And timimg chain...and gear....Keep the stock timimg? Or get and adjustable gear? What is the optimal timimg?

And the be all end all cam... suggestions..

Thanks all..thats a big list..i hope these questions cam be ansered.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: So many variables when doing an engine build..need suggestions

The BIG question is, how much money do you have to play with?

I'm currently in "buying mode" for a budget build that im doing this winter, My goal is to hit 300+RWHP, and I think i can do it.

Im starting off with a FRESHLY rebuilt 306 block that runs 9:1 compression with stock 64cc heads installed. $699 + $107 shipping
I'm having a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam installed at the shop thats building the motor, just so i dont have to do it myself. $185 (cam and installation)
I have a Cobra now, so i've already got GT-40 heads... HOWEVER, they are getting sent out to Thumper of Orange Park for port and polish. He is also portmatching my lower intake manifold to my heads, and milling the heads .030, which will raise my Compression Ratio to approximately 9.5:1..... $695 + ?shipping
I'll be running 1.6 rockers, I plan on buying a set of Harland Sharpe RR's $200
And as far as pushrods go, i'll have to order/nstall them dead last. I have a pushrod length checker that i'll be using to make sure my valve train geometry is spot on.

When im done, i'll have heads that outflow most aftermarket aluminum heads. A nice EFI cam that makes good power(i dont wanna have to notch the pistons because not everybody has a shop close to them that can do it). Along with a stock cobra upper intake (yes i realize your going carb...) And I plan on 300+rwhp... so all im trying to get at is that you dont need to spend tons of money on NEW parts, and you cam make the same amount.. if not MORE HP!