5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Troubles starting car when engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:20 PM
White 87GT

Default Troubles starting car when engine is warm

Hello Fellow Stangers! I have an White 87 GT that has been in my possession for over 8 years. I need some help figuring out a problem with my ignition. I recently installed a new timing chain, E303 cam, ignition module, ingintion coil, starter relay, and cables, not to mention new plug wires, and plugs in order to figure out why I'm having troubles starting my car when the engine is warm. I can't figure it out. Originally I thought it was the timing chain. The car starts fine when the engine is cold, but If I drive it for more than, I would have to say twenty minutes or so and turn it off, It is hard to turn over or wont turn over at all. If I sit for about a hour then I can start the car again. The time was set at the factory spec. I don't know if maybe the timing is set wrong for the type of cam I installed or if it's something different. Could it be the starter? I was told by some friends that it might be the starter getting to hot because of the headers or that it has something to do with the timing still. whould anyone have any insight regarding this problem I would sure appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:30 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Troubles starting car when engine is warm

You should post this in the 5.0 Tech Forum...
Oh and WELCOME to the BEST Mustang Forum on the web!
Just one more thing..........
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 AM
quicksnake
2nd Gear Member

sounds like a starter to me???
Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 AM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

sounds like the alternator to me...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 AM
88gtboy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: White 87GT

Hello Fellow Stangers! I have an White 87 GT that has been in my possession for over 8 years. I need some help figuring out a problem with my ignition. I recently installed a new timing chain, E303 cam, ignition module, ingintion coil, starter relay, and cables, not to mention new plug wires, and plugs in order to figure out why I'm having troubles starting my car when the engine is warm. I can't figure it out. Originally I thought it was the timing chain. The car starts fine when the engine is cold, but If I drive it for more than, I would have to say twenty minutes or so and turn it off, It is hard to turn over or wont turn over at all. If I sit for about a hour then I can start the car again. The time was set at the factory spec. I don't know if maybe the timing is set wrong for the type of cam I installed or if it's something different. Could it be the starter? I was told by some friends that it might be the starter getting to hot because of the headers or that it has something to do with the timing still. whould anyone have any insight regarding this problem I would sure appreciate it.
bump this from the dead...

I have a stock 351 thats doing this can someone help me determine if its a timing issue or what? just like this guy the battery IS NOT dead. it just feels like the engine is locked up only when its hot. -
Old 11-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Simon9350
1st Gear Member

If anyone can figure out what the problem is let me know. Exact same thing here. 87 GT only mine is all stock and timed from the factory. No headers or anything. I do have to believe that it is the starter though. Has anyone tried using a hi torque starter either mini or full size. I just finished tearing the engine down on mine but when it goes back together i think i am going to try one of these. Let me know if it has worked for anyone else
Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

My first thought was the ignition module. It runs when cold but has problems when hot? The ignition modules dont like excess heat. Put enough grease on it before the install? It could still be bad even if its new.

Check your ECT sensor. If that goes bad when its cold, it will operate ok during a cold start-up, but it will give you problems during a warm start-up, and vice versa. Its a Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) built into the computer. If you have 0v, theres a short in the sensor. Check the connection for any corrosion. The ECT effects air/fuel ratios, idle rpm, and spark timing.

Any codes? Codes 21, 61, 116, 117, and 118 are for the ECT. If it checks out ok, not sure what else to check.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 AM
88gtboy
2nd Gear Member

blckstng93. We are talking this engine WILL NOT EVEN SPIN OVER. Its just like the engine is siezed temporarly. Once itcools down, Itll fire right up. Ive seen several people with this problem and i remember along time ago i tried a makeshift shield arround the starter and it still did this... I just want to know what does this before i put this motor in my stang.

Its a carbureted 351. Ive been told timing could do this?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Ok, didnt know that. Im still learning carb stuff.

You said it will start once its cooled down so it might be hydrolocked. I would think if it does start the timing should be ok. Dont see how heat would effect that. Never had a starter slowly fail, usually when they stop working (for me atleast) its permanent.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us80312.htm

Quick Reply: Troubles starting car when engine is warm