5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strange Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Eric95GT

Default Strange Problem

Well, Iam new here and to Mustangs. I recently took my Moms 95 GT from her b/c shes ordering an 05 GT. Anyways, I was having a stalling problem and it turned out to be the distributor and my ignition module. Both were replaced but now i have this strange problem. The car runs fine but when i am coming to a complete stop with the car in drive(auto...yeah i know) the voltage drops as does the RPMs and it kind of surges back and forth and eventually remains at a constant idle but if i let off the brake and move up it does it again. Also, when im running the AC it doesnt seem to recreate the problem. I have a code scanner, one of those cheap Actron ones, and it shows no codes. I dont know if this is a problem with my voltage regulator or if its an intake problem or if the computer takes some time to reprogram timing, but its been almost 2 1/2 weeks sinces the works been done. I am really stumped on this one and I know cars pretty well, ive worked with Pep Boys for 4 1/2 years now. The car has 100,000 on it, well kept up, new distributor, ignition module, fuel filter and tune up last year. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Strange Problem

do you know if the car has had underdrive pulleys installed? if so, this would explain some of the low voltage at idle problem. when you replaced the ignition parts, did you diconnect the negtive battery cable for about 10 minutes to erase the KAM (keep alive memory) in the ECU and let it relearn the new conditions after the repairs were done? if not, try this and see what it might do for you. also check and clean the IAC on the side of the throttle body with some carb cleaner. sounds like it may be partially plugged at the normal idle but not at the stepped up idle the ECU calls for when the AC compressor clutch is activated.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Eric95GT

No the car doesnt have underdrive pulleys, as of right now it is completely stock. Is there an easy way to clean the Idle air control, b/c ive never done this before. See Im not that familar with Fords, Ive owned a Camaro, S10 and a GTP and I know GM pretty well. Any help would be nice. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:05 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Eric, I had the same issue with mine after installing my supercharger.
The idle would hunt and even stall when I came to a stop... AC would stop that from happening too.
I solved this by resetting the idle. Here's how you do it:

1. Clear the EEC-IV's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.
2. Disconnect the Idle air bypass solonoid
3. Reconnect battery
4. Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with stop screw on throttle body (900 rpm works great with E303 or larger cam)
5. Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid
*Optional -- set TPS to 0.90 - 0.95 volts (Do not exceed 1.0 volts MAKE SURE!) Use a digital volt meter!
6. Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.
7. Turn off engine for two minutes
8. Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.
9. Turn engine off again.

I also used carb cleaner that came in a gallon can at Autozone to clean my throttle body and IAC.