5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 AM
jrwisdom

Default cold air intakes

i was wondering which cold air intake is the best bang for the buck, and also is it neccessary (for power) to get a new MAF sensor when installing one?
also i as wondering what a good header is for a 95 gt. thanks
Old 09-05-2004, 04:59 AM
HOSS302

Default RE: cold air intakes

dude cold air intakes r a waste of money they say they give u more power but they dont the best 1 iv seen is the k&n intake but they dont make em for 94 95s u should jus get a used 1 dont spend 2 bills on a new 1 cause theyll be the same n e ways
Old 09-05-2004, 06:29 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

If you want a CAI to give you more than 3-4 hp you will need to look into phenolic spacers the cool air drawn from the fender or where ever will be heated back up in the intake manifold & throttle body before it even reaches the heads. After you put that on you can see upward of 10hp gain. Pick a header company you hear the most good about. mac, bbk, ford racing, slp. Long tubes are good if you don't mind the extra work putting them on.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:20 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

save the money you were going to spend on a cai and buy a bigger maf http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....tem&inmake=all its the first step to making more power with intake mods.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:27 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You should work on freeing up some restriction first of all. I've heard it is best to start with exhaust then do intake. I've read in order to see the best results from each product work "out to in" out being the farthest part from the block which on the intake side would be the filter & on the exhaust side would be the muffler (filter>meter>throttle body>intake manifold> heads) & (mufflers>pipe>headers). It shouldn't matter though you will get the same ammount of hp any way you do it as long as it gets done. You need to see if the headers you are wanting to purchase will bolt up to the heads you are going to get in the future, so you don't waste money.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

If you ask me I am a fan of Ram air.
Yeah it takes a little more frequency of cleaning the air filter, but who cars!!!

You make a lot more power that way!!!!!
When I ha my Ram air system off I COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But he's right in saying to get the biggest restrictions out tof the way first!!!!
Do Exhaust first!
Not just the cat backs either!!!!!!
Get a mid pipe. Hpipe or X pipe. With High Flow cats!!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

ram air is just a glorified cai. best bang for the buck is an ebay cai. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I guess. It's all up to you.

If you really think that you can get as much air through a tube in your fender wall as apposed to ram air thats your thing. LOL

You can make a ram air system cheaper than that cheap set-up of aCAI on ebay!!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 PM
zennx
1st Gear Member

jrwisdom - I just got done doing a CAI on my car. Funny thing is they want what like 160 or so for a BBK or Mac CAI? Well the ones you see on ebay are only $60 they are the same exact piping. If your even worried about the filter on them you could still buy a $30 Mac Replacement filter from 50resto.com and still save $70. Looks the same, does the same function. Good deal in my book. I felt a little difference with mine, not much, but the car felt a lot smoother between shifts. Check the 2nd page of my site at www.cardomain.com/id/xzennx to see it installed, etc...

Ted
Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

If you are gonna get a CAI, get an ebay one. I got mine on ebay for 35 bucks and it is definately a lot better than stock.

Quick Reply: cold air intakes