5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Electrical Problem. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:20 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical Problem. Please Help

I don't think it is just the stereo putting to much drain because I have had it in for a year now with this being the first electrical problem. I have a voltage meter which I am going to be working on today (Why is it you can hever find a damned 9 volt battery when you need one). The batery (IN the car)is about 4 days old now, just replaced it figureing that was the problem. I am going to go charge the new battery, have the alt tested, and cover every wire in the thing in electrical tape and then amp to battery today. Hopefully this will work out.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
warthrone
1st Gear Member

I know it sounds simple, but if your connections are not making contact, it will not recharge the battery correctly.It will run once it's started but not start after shut off. Clean everything up really good, and check where the cable connects to the starter. However, I had an 89 that did the same thing, I replaced the alternator, turns out it was just the voltage regulator that went bad.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
84 Turbo stang
2nd Gear Member

if you turn the car off does it turn back on immediatly? if not its the voltage regulator. It may be anyway. On the car you have, (if its an 89) then the voltage regulator is built onto the alt. Black thing on the back. it keeps the volts from being drained from the battery. keeps volts in.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:37 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

How much would I be looking at for a voltage regulator??? It is an 89 by the way.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:43 AM
EliteTuners
3rd Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volta...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-16-2006, 04:47 AM
EliteTuners
3rd Gear Member

good?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:07 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

OK, well I drove my brothers car the to the parts store today and found out all four front brake pads were down to metal(Dumb *** never tunred his radio down enough to hear it, and never felt the stopping difference), so I had to spend today putting on new rotors and pads on his car so he could drive home today(Both in college and he wouldn't have made it home otherwise), so I am going to spend tommorow focusing on my stang finally.

When it rains it pours.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

From everything I can tell it seams like the car has fixed itself. Can someone please tell me if I have screwed up somewhere???

so I get the battery charged the majority of the way at advance auto. Come home put it in and it is reading 12.76 volts. I put one prob on the battery post, and the other on the wire coming away from the post. On the 200m setting (Amps DC current) it is showing .2 to .3 So I turn on the headlights and the radio it got to 1.5. Which should be no where near drain the battery to my knowledge. Then I drive the stang for about 5 miles or so at about 2000-2500 rpm (To keep the alt running storng) and when I get back the battery reads 13.05 volts. It appears that it is charging and nothing is draining out of it. Can someone tell me what is happeneing here, or is I am just crazy???

EDIT: OK, so I went out and checked the voltage of the battery and it dropped to 12.71 volts in 20 mins from the 13.05. I drove it again to drop a friend off at work, got it to 13.09 volts. The left the battery connected, but disconected the wire feeding all my amplifiers. In 5 mins droped to 12.92 volts. There is a definate drain somewhere, but I don't know how to find where. I just ordered a new Voltage Regulator to see if that solves to problem. Will be here in the morning.

Sorry to keep the question out there but I am out of idea's, hate electrical problems worse then anything, and have some electrical knowledge but it is limited.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Den

Besides my Stang, I just bought a 02 Corvette in September,(Sorry Ford Guyz, there both a blast to drive) the last owner put a cool stereo in it, Alpine radio with a 2-3-4 Alpine Amp for the main speakers and a Sony 600 W amp for the sub. He also installed a Tsunami 1.2 farad capacitor which stores the juice and the system draws from it instead of direct from your battery. You might want to look into one for your system. The battery won't work so hard.....Just a thought.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
5.0carlo
2nd Gear Member

Like someone mentioned before u might want to start pulling fuses for the Accesories and when/if the problem stops then thats the area to check. U never said if u had the alt checked. I would say replace it. My firebird did the same thing one day and it was the Alt. And it doesnt matter if it ran fine on one and messed up the next... alot of time parts go bad in the blink of an eye.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem. Please Help