5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

trickflow HCI install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Whistler04

Default trickflow HCI install

I recently purchased the trickflow trackheat top end kit for my 1990 mustang LX. I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for the install or could tell me any problem areas to look for. I just wanted to get any tips I could on the install from some of you guys that have experience with this kit.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: trickflow HCI install

Just make sure that you put all of your bolts in bags and label them properly, take pictures if you don't think you can remember how something goes back together. On the lower intake manifold gaskets, you can look through the top of the lower intake down through the ports to make sure the the gaskets is aligned on the head properly.Make sure that your rear lifter valley gasket doesn't slip. I've had this happen two times on me and it's a pain in the *** to fix it with out removing it again.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf

this has been great so far, I'm in the process right now. One thing you NEED to change though- step #24, it says remove the lifter cage and dog bones. YOU MUST REMOVE THE LIFTERS AS WELL! I followed the directions instead of common sense, and when I took the cam out 4 lifters dropped into my oilpan. Now I have to undo the bellhousing, lift the engine, and drop the oilpan. That is a quicker/easier alternative than what I really should do, which would be to drop the crossmember. No thanks. Good luck though, it's gone real smooth so far, PM me with any questions. Good luck
Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Whistler04

ORIGINAL: LTnone

this has been great so far, I'm in the process right now. One thing you NEED to change though- step #24, it says remove the lifter cage and dog bones. YOU MUST REMOVE THE LIFTERS AS WELL! I followed the directions instead of common sense, and when I took the cam out 4 lifters dropped into my oilpan. Now I have to undo the bellhousing, lift the engine, and drop the oilpan. That is a quicker/easier alternative than what I really should do, which would be to drop the crossmember. No thanks. Good luck though, it's gone real smooth so far, PM me with any questions. Good luck
Wow that is a pretty detailed Tech article, I will make the note for step 24. Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Just make sure that you put all of your bolts in bags and label them properly, take pictures if you don't think you can remember how something goes back together. On the lower intake manifold gaskets, you can look through the top of the lower intake down through the ports to make sure the the gaskets is aligned on the head properly.Make sure that your rear lifter valley gasket doesn't slip. I've had this happen two times on me and it's a pain in the *** to fix it with out removing it again.
Two things to add on to this- first of all, I've always been more a fan of the cardboard method than bags- easy to get in/out and label. Also about the gaskets, just put a dab of high tack yellow silicone on the gasket, give it a minute or two to dry, and viola- no slipping gaskets
Old 12-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

^^ Nice article! Good looking out!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Thank 88BlueGT for that one
Old 12-20-2006, 03:34 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

huh? [&:]

why thank me?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

use right torq ,and sequence of torqin bolts down..b4 ya fire it off check comp on heads with plugs out and see if ya have good pressure,and do it after ya run it a few times and its warm..make sure ya have good oil pressure and rev it over 2000 rpms a few mins and back n forth 2000-3000 rpms ..check for vacum leaks...
Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

huh? [&:]

why thank me?
You posted that link for Goosepoop302 (did he die, by the way?) a few months ago, I stole it from that

Quick Reply: trickflow HCI install