5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Annoying Squeek from Trans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Default Annoying Squeek from Trans!

My clutch is about 5 months old (ZOOM HD) and recently I've been havings this horrible squeek coming from what I think is the throwout bearing. Whenever the clutch is completely out (idling and/or driving) I can hear this squeek squeek squeek over my damn radio. I jacked the car up with it runnin and I saw that the clutch fork itself is vibrating up and down, and when I put pressure on it with my hand, the squeek goes away. Same as if I were in the car and put some slight pressure on the pedal. Is this really my throwout bearing? Or is my clutch fork itself messed up? Is there anyway to solve this without pulling the trans and replacing parts? If so I am just goin to put in a Centerforce with a new throwout bearing and clutch fork and call it a ****in day
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM
jaznasy69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Annoying Squeek from Trans!

I would just spend the cash and throw in the new parts.. Centerforce with new throwout bearing sounds like a good start
Old 01-04-2007, 03:06 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The only problem with that is I dont have the cash for a few more weeks. Would tightening/loosening my cable make this any better?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
jaznasy69
2nd Gear Member

not sure cause Im not there to hear the noise. but you could try loosening the cable it wont hurt anything..
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: jaznasy69

not sure cause Im not there to hear the noise. but you could try loosening the cable it wont hurt anything..
Its just a constant squeek, and now Im almost positive its coming from the clutch fork or bearing, because The fork will bounce up and down a few MMsand squeek, but if I hold the fork with my finger its silent. Ill try loosenin the cable
Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 PM
jaznasy69
2nd Gear Member

well if its a constant squeek then I would check the bearing. If its wornthat would do it
Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

I have the same issue with my 92 lx, as someone who isn't that mechanically sound, how difficult is it to replace the bearing and are there any other parts that would also have to be replaced at the same time? Looking to silence the squeak but not to spend a lot
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: wcfurious

I have the same issue with my 92 lx, as someone who isn't that mechanically sound, how difficult is it to replace the bearing and are there any other parts that would also have to be replaced at the same time? Looking to silence the squeak but not to spend a lot
Its a pretty extensive job, not exactly difficult, but having a lift would be a BIG life saver. The trans has to come off, which means you gotta remove the driveshaft, h-pipe, crossmember, starter, wires off trans, speedo cable, the 6 trans bolts, then slide it off, pull the clutch fork off and replace the throwout bearing. A throwout bearing itself isnt expensive, but I figured while the trans is off, I might as welldo the rear main seal, resurface the flywheel and put on a new clutch. I have lifts at work, but I'd have to bust myass on a Saturday to get it done fast..I've done a trans in my garage before with jackstands...not a lotta fun.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:58 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Its definately the throwout. Mine does it too sometimes. I have several friends that have this noise come and go. I say live with it until you can replace the whole shebang
Old 01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
wcfurious
1st Gear Member

mine isn't very loud right now and not constant, I don't hear it at all when I'm driving (unless I have the stereo off, the window down, driving slow and listening for it) just when it idles. Last time I had it in the shop I was told that was likely what it was but that it wasn't a concern for a while. My question would be, when would it become a concern?

Quick Reply: Annoying Squeek from Trans!