5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

right bank running rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 AM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

Default right bank running rich

just the right bank, i can smell unburned gas after i get on it. me and my dad were doing donuts around my house and we smelled gas so we stopped and got out to see what it was. i smelled all around the car and i went to the right side tip and it had a lot of unburned gas in the exhaust fumes. i went to the other side and it didnt smell. ive been smelling it when i got into it for awhile, but im sick of it. does anyone know whats going on? could it be a faulty injector that doesnt shut off at the right time and loads up the cylinder under decel?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: right bank running rich

injectors open up with electronic pulses, they close when the pulse dies, so either the pulse is wrong or the injector is clogged open, which is rare.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 AM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

yea i know how injectors work...i was thinkin the pulse could be off but i dont know how i havnt touched the computer and why only the right bank...its a ford, i guess it should be expected.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-09-2007, 04:19 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

lethal performance will clean and flowtest your injectors
Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

faulty regulator? maybe
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 AM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

how much does that cost?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Check fuel pump pressure engine off (prime pump 2-3 times), and check how much pressure drops in 1-2 minutes + run a KOER self-test to see if code 42 shows up. If you have a fuel tank vent hose/line broken or disconnected, fuel smell is common on the RH side of the car.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

^ This guy has it right. The best way to identify a leaking injector is with a bleed-off test but the pressure may bleed off due to a bad pump check valve as well. I am curious about your oxygen sensor voltage as well. It may have an open circuit, which although should set a code - itmay also make you run inclosed loop fault. Bottom line, if you are running rich/lean on only one bank it is due to an injector issue or an oxygen sensor issue as the o2's are the only thing that meters fuel on only one bank.
Right bank? Sitting in the vehicle? Ford numbers their banks #1 (right bank; passenger side) and #2 (left bank; driver side).
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
JABES
2nd Gear Member

passenger side. how do you do the self test, i know how to do it on other cars but not mustangs. and i can take the fuel pressure on the fuel rail right? isnt there a fitting on one of the rails? and about the oxygen sensor, ive had one disconnected and i had bad performance and crappy gas milage, which it isnt doing right now. but ill check the voltage.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Bad or disco'd O2's will jack w/ your fuel also. I just replaced a bad O2 that was causing the ECU to think the pass side was lean so it was dumping fuel into that side. Runs great now.

Quick Reply: right bank running rich