5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Header problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:40 PM
super slow 5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Header problem

just bolted BBK shorties on my 1990 GT now the problem,I bought a new x-pipe and it wont bolt up it seems like the header exit is to close to the starter. Then I tried my old h-pipe same problem. I had shorties to begin with I dont no what my problem is.. HELP
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Header problem

i just put shorties and an h-pipe on my car and it bolted up fun.

of course.. its alot easier when u have air tools
Old 01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

What kind of heads are you running?

I would check with BBK see what they have to say..I bet you had equal length and the new ones are Unequal Length or vice versa
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I thought shorties were shorties... Equal or not. At any rate, my BBK unequal length headers bolted up just fine to my BBK X-pipe.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

hah..... have fun. welcome to world of headers and fox bodies. If it fits the first time, you got lucky!!! I have full length headers an man they can be a pain in the but. clearence of the starter plays a big roll sometimes on the fit. I usually need to "massage" headers into place. Even shorties can be a problem. All I can say is.... either try another header, or make em fit. Probobly not what you wanted to hear but I ALWAYS weld up my own exhaust. I buy headers though and expect them not to fit. Also I have a high torque mini starter so it helps a bit, but my trans clutch cover gets in my way too. Heat em up, bend em up, and beat em up untill they fit! The trick is to get mad at em.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turt

hah..... have fun. welcome to world of headers and fox bodies. If it fits the first time, you got lucky!!! I have full length headers an man they can be a pain in the but. clearence of the starter plays a big roll sometimes on the fit. I usually need to "massage" headers into place. Even shorties can be a problem. All I can say is.... either try another header, or make em fit. Probobly not what you wanted to hear but I ALWAYS weld up my own exhaust. I buy headers though and expect them not to fit. Also I have a high torque mini starter so it helps a bit, but my trans clutch cover gets in my way too. Heat em up, bend em up, and beat em up untill they fit! The trick is to get mad at em.
yah cuz thats sooooo good for flow
Old 01-25-2007, 09:22 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i dunno if i would bit the hell outta them if u bend them ull kill flow... and thats kinda the hole point of why your puttin them on... they shouldnt be that far off... if they are u mayb have recieved a wrong part... make sure u got what u ordered... like the rite year and everything and if u did u make just wanna call bbk and ask then about it... mac is said to have more fitment issues than bbk but i didnt have the kinda problems u had ... my LTs were just a BlTCH to get in
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

hah^^^^^ what are u talking about???? ^^^^^^^
ohhhhh,,,,, thats sad,,, did you think i meant dent em??? or crimp them??? I mean i guess if i was an idiot maybe???? Huh?? am i an idiot??? ahhhhhh .. I'll live.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
em ekohc

I got BBK equal length shorties and I had a problem with them hitting my fact. K member but urethane engine mountslifted the engine just enough. And did you tighten the header bolts before bolting the X pipe up? I had a problem with that on a past car
Old 01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

I switched from stock unequals to mac equals and it bolted up fine just had to unbolt the offroad h from the tails so i could pull it up to the new headers. attach em then re attach the tails. Shortys are shortys and it shouldnt matter whether they are equal or unequal headers they should still match right up. There shouldnt be any need for denting or massaging or any other damage to them. Have you tried unhooking the tails from your h pipe yet? I could see LT's being a bit of a problem as that is a whole different scenario though...

Quick Reply: Header problem