5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anyone know how to remove the brake booster pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone know how to remove the brake booster pushrod?

This is a fox body 5.0 booster.. I need to remove (and then replace) the booster to pedal pushrod. It seems to go deep inside a piston, where there was some foam. I took out the foam hoping for an (unreachable) c-clip or something, but all I can see is a spring or something like one, that I can't seem to take off.. Anyone done such a beast or have an exploded diagram or something? Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone know how to remove the brake booster pushrod?

Disassembly
[*]Remove brake booster from vehicle.[*]Place front shell of booster in a vise.[*]Remove clevis from valve rod and plunger assembly.[*]Remove dust boot from rear shell, Fig. 4, then place alignment marks on front and rear shells for proper alignment during assembly.[*]Rotate rear shell counterclockwise until shell unlocks. Rear shell is spring loaded, use caution when removing it.[*]Remove rear shell, then remove front shell return spring and push rod.[*]Remove front shell retainer and dust boot.[*]Remove rear shell from power piston assembly.[*]Remove rear shell bearing retainer, seal and bearing.[*]Remove retainer holding air filters and air silencer from the valve rod and plunger assembly.[*]Remove diaphragm and plate.[*]Slightly push down on valve rod and remove retainer key and stopper.[*]Remove valve rod and plunger assembly from the power piston assembly.[*]Remove air filters and air silencer from the power piston.[*]Remove reaction disc.[*][*]Assembly

Prior to assembly coat the following with silicone grease; reaction disc surface, dust seal lip, push rod, diaphragm-to-shell contact surfaces, power piston and valve plunger oil seal.[*]Install valve rod and plunger assembly into the power piston.[*]Push down on valve rod, then align groove of the valve plunger with the slot of power piston.[*]Install the valve rod retainer key and stopper.[*]Install two air filters and air silencer into power piston.[*]Place diaphragm and plate onto power piston, ensure the diaphragm is fully seated in the groove of the power piston.[*]Install bearing, bearing seal and bearing retainer into rear shell.[*]Slide rear shell onto power piston while carefully guiding power piston through bearing seal.[*]Using the push rod, install reaction disc into the power piston.[*]Install dust seal, front retainer and push rod into front shell.[*]Place front shell in a vise, then install front shell return spring.[*]Place rear shell onto front shell noting alignment marks.[*]Rotate rear shell clockwise until rear shell locks into place with front shell.[*]Install dust boot onto rear shell then install clevis onto valve rod and plunger assembly.[*]Install master cylinder.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Wow! Thanks man! This is for a 5.0 booster? I didn't know I could twist it to unlock the whole thing.. I guess thats the only way to get the pushrod out? I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 PM
shakes
2nd Gear Member

nice post there mattdel, i'll definately be using this next week.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately, that definately isn't for a 5.0 booster. Mine seems to be crimped around so the front of the shell overlaps the rear shell.. Doesn't matter how much you rotate it (Not that it will move), the front will always be crimped over the rear of the shell with about 15 crimps.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

bend the crimps.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

I suppose I could do that.. this booster is never going to work again, is it? So is disassembling the whole thing the only way to get the pedal pushrod out of there? No way to get it from the back?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Ya, those crimps can't be bent.. sigh.. I'm out of ideas. there has to be a way to get that pushrod out of there.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

check the outside of the casing. it should have some kind of manufacturers name on it, Bendix or Teves or something
Old 01-31-2007, 11:45 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

No dice. No markings of any sort.. Think if I go by Ford tomorrow they can tell me more? I assume all 5.0's havethe same booster, just can't seem to find out what it is.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to remove the brake booster pushrod?