5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:28 PM
1Cor2:9

Default Help!

Ok all, I need someone who really knows about cars - I need some help. I Mustang arrived today and I am relatively happy with it, although it does need some serious cosmetics. The engine and tranny seems good though, however, there is a problem. For some reason, the car will not start. When I tried to start it, there was a loud sound as if someone was trying to turn the ignition on again while the car is already running - you know, that kind of sound. It's a loud grinding noise. Well, that happens and I know it's not battery problems. I believe it is probably the starter because it sounds like the starter's gears are grinding against the flywheel's teeth. I don't know if the seller was being dishonest and didn't tell me that this has always happened, but it sounds like I may need another starter. Is there some reason why they are grinding? The car does run fine though - I had someone push it and I popped it while in first and let it run for awhile, and even got some gas, but I had to leave the car running. Any suggestions? With the current mods that it has (look below), I am wondering if it needs a high torque starter. Also, I noticed the car was leaking oil and am wondering if that is an expensive job. I am really wanting to hear some suggestions and other information. Thanks all for your help!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help!

It sounds like somone didn't look this car over very well before buying it.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

hmm, i THINK that sounds means its way out of time? someone with more knowledge could help you but it could also be the starter situation u said, try putting a shim on the starter. but i think its the timing.... i know the exact sound your talking about.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

No..it's not timing...it's the starter. I would crawl under and make sure the starter bolts are tight and are both there.
What year mustang are we talking about anyway?
If it's a new starter, it's also possible someone bought the wrong starter for it.
Automatic and manual trannys had different starters. They are basically the same but one starter has a longer engaging shaft....I forget which one.
Start by checking the bolts though.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like the starter to me. If it was timing then why would the car still run normally once its started? Also I noticed you said you popped it in first to start it. I always was told its easier to do it in a lower gear like 3rd or 4th. Just wondering if there is a "correct way".
Old 11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
1Cor2:9

The mustang is an 89 coupe. Would I need a starter to match the kind of manual transmission I have? I have a Tremec TKO. I will check the bolts. I couldn't look this car over because I bought it from out of town - with all the engine work done, I felt I was getting a good deal.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

Id take the starter off and inspect the fly wheel. it will prob need a starter and a fly wheel
Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1Cor2:9

The mustang is an 89 coupe. Would I need a starter to match the kind of manual transmission I have? I have a Tremec TKO. I will check the bolts. I couldn't look this car over because I bought it from out of town - with all the engine work done, I felt I was getting a good deal.
Nope..if you get a new one just make sure it's gor a manual tranny.
BTW, you can get one of those mini high torque starters that they put on the '93-95 5.0 mustangs but you have to do some minor wiring changes.
I forget what you have to do but it's easy. I have one on my 351w
Also, pop starting in 2nd gear is the way to do it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:08 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

starter gear catching on the flywheel