5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

upper and lower intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: upper and lower intake

Upgrading the exhaust will free up a lot to begin with. Just the intake upgrade won't do much....especially if you are still running the stock MAF, heads, and TB.

The stock lower intake and heads are the main restrictions on a 5.0 HO. Replacing the intake w/ a Trick Flow intake will help some, but you still have the heads to deal with. If you replace the intake, but leave the stock TB and MAF, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, real difference.

I would start w/ the exhaust first, then the MAF and TB. Now you've got a platform to take advantage of what a better intake can do for you.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
opertob

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Upgrading the exhaust will free up a lot to begin with. Just the intake upgrade won't do much....especially if you are still running the stock MAF, heads, and TB.

The stock lower intake and heads are the main restrictions on a 5.0 HO. Replacing the intake w/ a Trick Flow intake will help some, but you still have the heads to deal with. If you replace the intake, but leave the stock TB and MAF, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, real difference.

I would start w/ the exhaust first, then the MAF and TB. Now you've got a platform to take advantage of what a better intake can do for you.
+1 well said, I was trying to say that, but my finger been typing the wrong words.. lol.

So is my stock MAF is holding up anything here. 94 GT
BBK, CAI, 75MM TB, TrickFlow U/L Intake, BBK Shorty, o/r x-pipe. Flowmaster 40s, umm U/D pully not install yet though. I think the stock on the 94 GT MAF is 70MM? Should I upgrade?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Swapping out my CAI and getting full exhaust gave me an additional 130 or so rwhp. But I'm still using the stock intake. Not so sure I want to change the intake or the heades to anything else. Tried it but didn't really like it.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
opertob

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Swapping out my CAI and getting full exhaust gave me an additional 130 or so rwhp. But I'm still using the stock intake. Not so sure I want to change the intake or the heades to anything else. Tried it but didn't really like it.
a CAI, and FULL Exhust give you an addl 130hp? umm... what brand? lol I might have to get me that.. and forget the KB supercharge
Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

ya its a really expensive cai[8D]
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: opertob

a CAI, and FULL Exhust give you an addl 130hp? umm... what brand? lol I might have to get me that.. and forget the KB supercharge
I removed my BBK CAI and replaced it with a Procharger w/ methanol. But I think that the K&N Filter and the full exhaust helped more than anything. Same thing basically... just cools down the air as it goes to the intake.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:31 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: opertob
+1 well said, I was trying to say that, but my finger been typing the wrong words.. lol.

So is my stock MAF is holding up anything here. 94 GT
BBK, CAI, 75MM TB, TrickFlow U/L Intake, BBK Shorty, o/r x-pipe. Flowmaster 40s, umm U/D pully not install yet though. I think the stock on the 94 GT MAF is 70MM? Should I upgrade?
Your MAF should be okay.... The SN95's came w/ 70mm MAF's, like you said. The fox's are only 55mm, though, so upgrading to something larger should be early on in the mods.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

lol samseed your CAI is a lil different than most peoples... it kinda well u know sucks are in... lol thats not far!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Your MAF should be okay.... The SN95's came w/ 70mm MAF's, like you said. The fox's are only 55mm, though, so upgrading to something larger should be early on in the mods.
[/quote]

Personally, I like to follow the rule of thumb that says your MAF should always be bigger than your TB. If he has a 75mm TB, then I would say that he at least needs to get a 76mm. But I'd shoot for an 80mm or even a 90mm LMAF.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Personally, I like to follow the rule of thumb that says your MAF should always be bigger than your TB. If he has a 75mm TB, then I would say that he at least needs to get a 76mm. But I'd shoot for an 80mm or even a 90mm LMAF.
[/quote]

+1 need a bigger maf... not to big tho

Quick Reply: upper and lower intake