5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Advice, something seems off...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

Default Advice, something seems off...

It is a 92 GT. I went out last night and found a long straight road... Well I decided to have a little fun. Did two quick ones. Well I went back after the smoke had cleared to see the carnage and on the first burnout spot I see two tire marks. I drive up to the second spot and only see 1?!?!?! I did a peg leg burnout What could have caused this, could anything be messed up in the differential?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Advice, something seems off...

ORIGINAL: GreenHornet92

...could anything be messed up in the differential?
yup.. time for a trac-lok rebuild
Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

great.....is there any place I should go to? What upgrades are available.....
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

get a locker
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you cant really upgrade anything unless your re-doing the entire rear end

and this should help!
http://promustangperformance.com/m-4700-b.html
Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Adder.When you say redoing the entire rear end what exactly, you mean like pulling it and "bulit proofing" it? The only thing I have done to upgrade from stock is a 3.73 gear. I have in the works upgrading to a 5 lug usuing the Ranger axles. Are the Ranger axles 31 spline or 28? Would I be better off rebuilding what I have or getting a Detroit e-lock or something similar and install with the new axles?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I love how everyone is so quick to just throw gears into their cars. Did you ever stop and look at the logistics of it?

you installed gears on your tired old stock rear end... cost roughly $500 for the whole thing... right?

you could have installed a new carrier (rebuilt 31 spline explorer T-loc), 31 spline moser axles, AND new gears.. for $800... but now you have to spend the money to get everything installed AGAIN. See thats the problem with you guys, you dont plan anything out, you just toss in the parts and hope it works.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

I understand what you are saying and agree with you. I did not just get the car though. I have had this car for 7 years now and bought it with 50k on the odometer from the original owner. I changed the gear 3 days after I bought it, that was when I was young and stupid anddid not know any better,and only paid for parts, $180. A good friend owns a shop. I have now had that gear for about 100,000 miles now. Do I wish I had done things different back then....yeah. I do plan ahead on a lot of things now....Another part of planing ahead is wondering if I need to just wait and get a Detroit locker and upgrade to 31 spline at the same time. I have not had a lot of time with the car since my daughter was born but trying to get everything back up to par again, been sitting in the garage a little too long. So all help and suggestions on what to do this go round are welcome....whether they are good or bad.

Adder, what would you suggest knowing the fact I am wanting to eventually go to 17x10.5 wheels in the back and 31 spline axles? I know the axle length is the most critical part for the 10.5" width in the back. What type of carrier should I look at using if I do this all at once? meaning, axles, carrier, wheels, etc...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I would avoid the 10.5's in the rear, they dont look good and wont give you anything worth while. A set of 17x9 all the way around with 275/40/17s would be a better choice.

As for rear end components, I prefer to stay away from lockers becouse most are loud as hell.
A close friend of mine has had ALOT of luck with his Eaton True Trac
Axle slecetion is also pretty easy. Moser AND AlloyUSA sell 31 spline hardened axles. If you want to move the rear tires outward a small amount for clearance, you could go with a set on SN-95 aftermarket axles. They will be 3/4" longer than what you have now. You may also want to consider putting in a new ring and pinion gear solely due to the amount of miles on your gears now. When you installer puts everything back together, he may not be able to align them perfectly, resulting in a whining rear end. food for though!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

buy a new clutch pak install it and use 1 disc(the best one) from your old set in with the new pak..this will tighten up the pak and will work great

Quick Reply: Advice, something seems off...