5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine mounts

Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
andyglbrt

Default Engine mounts

I got a set of solid engine/tranny mounts for my mustang awhile back and tonight finally had the oppurtunity to put them on and get the engine in the car. Problem: The mounts won't let the engine sit all the way down.

I got this car already gutted and I have no previous experiance with Mustangs, so I am not sure if I am missing something maybe. Maybe I installed the mounts backwards, or, whatever? I don't know. All I know is that the mounts lack a good inch of sitting down on the cradle. The bolts are bottoming out in the slot before the mount will rest up against the subframe mounts.

Here is a picture of the engine bay as I got it. Maybe I am missing somthing.

I will try to get an actual picture of the issue tommorow night.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:58 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine mounts

Sounds like they're in backwards... and maybe on the wrong side. Did you put them in on the correct sides?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Its possible you have them on backwards,most motor mounts for these cars were the same from side to side except for convertibles, the years of 90-93 might have been diff. from side to side also. I know that you can use the motor mounts from an 86, 87,88,89GT on earlier models like 79-85. Most auto parts stores can get one side & not the other not sure why but shouldnt make a diff. For what year of car did you get yourmountsfor?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

My mounts are stamped L and R and will not work otherwise. I dont think they are interchangable from side to side.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Motor mounts are L or R. With a soild trans mount you can crack the tail of the trans.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Vader87
1st Gear Member

Im not debating that the mounts are l & r. I just know that you can use one or the other not sure which one, on both sides. Done it many times.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
andyglbrt

Well I am still having trouble getting the engine in. Never thought it would be this hard.

I tried putting the mounts on the oppisite side just to encounter the same problem. The engine just won't sit on the front cradle of the car. Looky...

It is like the engine isn't wide enough, or the cradle is too wide.

I got the mounts of of eBay. They were suposed to fit '79-'93 302/351w applications. The engine is out of an '89 Crown Vic if that would make any difference.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the mounts may be someones poor excuse for an immatation of the real thing??? the engine being out of a crown vic won't matter if you have a set of stock mustang mounts sitting around ,try them... if they fit you know what and where the problem is. if stock mounts do the samething I'd lean towards the k-member beeing bent. has car ever been in a wreck and are ther signs of k-member damage??
Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
andyglbrt

ORIGINAL: mjr46

the engine being out of a crown vic won't matter if you have a set of stock mustang mounts sitting around
That is what I thought. I don't though. That's why I bought the solids.

if stock mounts do the samething I'd lean towards the k-member beeing bent. has car ever been in a wreck and are ther signs of k-member damage??
I don't know the history of the car, but the title is clean. I will have to get a tape measure and see cause nothing to the naked eye looks crooked.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I would seriously try stock mounts if you can come across a set to see if the motor will drop in with those. quick easy fix if so??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine mounts