MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   help with my 5.0! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/321206-help-with-my-5-0-a.html)

BAM614 07-22-2007 10:28 PM

help with my 5.0!

Just picked up an 89LX and it needs work. It vibrates REALLY bad around 75mph or so and faster, maybe the driveshaft? What should I do to fix it? It also won't go into 3rd gear if accelerating hard/shifting fast, so I'm probably gonna swap out the trans with another since I think its the synchro's going...

What clutch is good for street/strip, the car's getting a novi 2k here soon once I get a few bugs worked out.

Also, at a light or something my oil pressure gauge will drop to zero, unless I hold the rpm's at like 1000 instead of what it idles at, like 600-700rpms, why is this?

lastly, I want to delete the AC/Smog/emissions/egr junk, what's the best way to go about that? Does removing the EGR cause anything bad to happen or what?

this car is bone stock and needs some mods, lol!

pathall26 07-22-2007 11:03 PM

RE: help with my 5.0!

the shaking at 75 mph could be as simple as the tires needing to be balanced.

ThrashN 07-22-2007 11:16 PM

It vibrates REALLY bad around 75mph or so and faster, maybe the driveshaft? What should I do to fix it?
I would check the U-joints first, it could be the driveshaft. You can jack the rear of the car up and put it in gear and see if the driveshaft is bent.

What clutch is good for street/strip, the car's getting a novi 2k here soon once I get a few bugs worked out.

I have a King Cobra clutch and it seems to be holding up OK, I run in the 12's on the bottle

Also, at a light or something my oil pressure gauge will drop to zero, unless I hold the rpm's at like 1000 instead of what it idles at, like 600-700rpms, why is this?
Is this the stock gauge? I have an aftermarket gauge and at idle mine drops to about 20psi and when driving it's at about 45psi

lastly, I want to delete the AC/Smog/emissions/egr junk, what's the best way to go about that? Does removing the EGR cause anything bad to happen or what?
You can remove all that stuff no problem. You'll need to get a AC delete kit (it moves your PS pump up to where the AC was). The smog pump can be removed also, I just crimped the line going to the back of the heads and had the tube on the H-pipe welded shut. You'll also have to get a shorter belt (I think my kit came with the shorter belt).

They always need mods

BAM614 07-22-2007 11:16 PM

No, unless maybe both rear wheels, but its in the shifter and center/rear of the car, its NASTY, it feels like ****s gonna fall apart, lol.

onetrickpony 07-22-2007 11:17 PM

might need an oil pump before any mods.

BAM614 07-22-2007 11:18 PM

Are the u-joints the ends of the driveshaft or what? What do I look for? I'll crawl under the car tomorrow and give it a looksee.

ThrashN 07-22-2007 11:22 PM

Just get under the car and try and wiggle the driveshaft around. If it's real sloppy it's the U-joints

U-joint
http://www.4xshaft.com/images/u_join...al_300x281.jpg

getafewlives 07-22-2007 11:53 PM

Removing the EGR valve will cause the CEL to come on. But there are thigns you cna buy that trick the computer into thinking the EGR is on.

BAM614 07-23-2007 12:02 AM

does removing the egr give me any gains/benefits? its just something i've read about.

thanks for the pic of the ujoint, i'll see what i find.

ahittz24 07-23-2007 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: BAM614

Just picked up an 89LX and it needs work. It vibrates REALLY bad around 75mph or so and faster, maybe the driveshaft? What should I do to fix it? It also won't go into 3rd gear if accelerating hard/shifting fast, so I'm probably gonna swap out the trans with another since I think its the synchro's going...

Mine was doing this. I pulled the pan and every single bearing in the motor was slap worn out. sounds to me like its time to rebuild