5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with fault code 22

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Need help with fault code 22

hey guys... my buddy's 87 gt seems to run rich. Check engine light is on.. he pulled the codes and had a few in there... but the one that got our attention is code 22 map or barometric pressure sensor out of range... the car is an 87 but has been converted to maf... the car was a bit hacked together by the guy who did it so we thought that perhaps the ecu was not swapped out. My buddy found an ecu on ebay for pretty cheap so he bought it.. and upon installation he found its the same ecu that was already in the car... (A9L computer)... to our understanding that is the correct ecu for 89 5 speed. He went ahead and installed the new computer and checked for faults... he still has code 22 stored... I am wondering why the ecu is looking for a map input when its supposed to be a maf ecu? Can anyone shed some light on this? it would be a huge help!!!

thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:54 PM
TheSledgeHammer

Default RE: Need help with fault code 22

Sounds like your buddy is a total player
Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

pull the vac. line off the map sensor and plug(the vac. line not the map) it then clear the codes that should fix it the running rich and the code it keeps kicking up. a mass air car dont need the vac. line on the map. the map sensor is called a bap sensor on a mass air car.so look to see if the vac. line is still hooked up I have seen this happen on many cars conv.to mass from S/D.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 PM
TheSledgeHammer

Do you mean BARO Sensor? Instead of BAP Sensor?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheSledgeHammer

Sounds like your buddy is a total player

he is actually.. he's got ho's in different area codes!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uedlose

pull the vac. line off the map sensor and plug(the vac. line not the map) it then clear the codes that should fix it the running rich and the code it keeps kicking up. a mass air car dont need the vac. line on the map. the map sensor is called a bap sensor on a mass air car.so look to see if the vac. line is still hooked up I have seen this happen on many cars conv.to mass from S/D.

thanks for the info man... except I don't understand why the code appears in a maf ready ecu? to me it shouldn't matter if the sensor is connected/ unconnected ..or has vacuum to it or not.. because the ecu shouldn't be looking for a signal from it right? Or does it look for a signal.. but at a low value ie.. what it would be without vacuum?

I don't geddit....[&:]
Old 01-28-2005, 08:32 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

yes you are right it is the baro. is there a vac. line still hooked up?not sure where I came up with bap.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Hell guy I dont know what the engineer did.or why they do the things they do. I do know that I have run across this same problem a few times before and one time it was on my own car thet some one had changed to mass air and I did this and it fixed it.hope it helps and if it dont I tried. but I do know that there should be no vac. on the baro. if the car is a mass air.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Changing atmospheric pressure chages the density of the air.Denser intake air can slightly altrer the air-fuel ratio and may affect how your engine operates. Some Ford engine-control systems have features that allow the system to compensate for variations in air density. Barometric pressure is the result of air pressing down and in all directions. Typical standard day press.are 14.7psi at sea level and by having a vac. line on the baro it is more then 14psi and less making the sensor read out of range throwing a code.this how I read it in Ford Electronic control book.while not near as important to a mass air car as to a S/D it still sets a code.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Back in OBD I days... for EEC-IV, Code 22 is the same code for a MAP and BAP sensor. They're the same sensor, only one is measuring mainfold vacuum and SD cars, and the other is measuring atmospheric pressure. Disconnect the hose going to the BAP sensor and plug the line or find where it went and put a plug on it.

Quick Reply: Need help with fault code 22