5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How can I increase low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default How can I increase low end torque?

I have made a lot of changes to my car over the last 6 months and I have lost a ton of low end torque and I am not sure why. I thought my power level should be going up not down.

I had:
Cobra upper and lower
stock exhaust
stock mass air and throttle body
stock 19# injectors

I added:
Trick flow upper and lower
BBK shorties
bassani x pipe with cats
flow master cat back
70 mm mass air and throttle body
24# injectors

I have had a major loss of low end torque. I use to be able to break them loose in second, laying a healthy patch,and now I am lucky to get a chirp. My RPM range has increased but the low end power is horrible. Any thoughts on why it went down and how do I get it back?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 AM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How can I increase low end torque?

410 gears?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
luizGT91
2nd Gear Member

you need an LS1 J/K cubic inches my friend thats what gives low end IMO
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

How are the numbers overall? Typically, when people talk about opening up their exhaust and getting things like offroad midpipes, etc, they talk about an increase in HP. It is true that you will gain HP, but that's usually on the top end. That's something the manufacturers won't often tell you, LoL. So if you hit a dyno, you would probably see that your peak numbers went up but your low end numbers dropped slightly.

Throw on a 1" intake spacer and you'll gain some of that low end torque back.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I knew that I would gain some HP from the swaps but I have not been able to "feel it". The low end thing is a real bummer. The spacer, will that cause clearance problems with the hood?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah. Sometimes people prefer to go back to something with slightly more backpressure. They get their low end tq back and sacrifice a bit of peak power.

The 1" spacer will definitely cause clearance issues with the trick flow intake. A cowl hood would be needed. But they make other spacers that are smaller. An easy way to tell how much room you have... Jut get some silly putty and place it on top of the intake. Try to get the putty so that it's at least a 1" ball. Then close the hood. When you reopen it, you can see how much the putty squished. Measure it's new thickness and you can see exactly how much clearance you have. Then leave a little extra room for good measure.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

It's funny how you can get more power from some mods that will actually make your car feel slower. I miss the low end fun, kickin the back end out a little around a corner every once in a while is stupid fun... it's now a thing of the past. I'll check the silly putty.

By the way samseed, I finally got the idle thing and vacuum problems under control. Thanks for all the PM help.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Nice What was the problem in the end? I just tracked down a vacuum leak myself last night. I took everything apart to clean up some parts and work on getting my dry stage installed. When I put it back together, I found that I was losing 3 - 4 inches of vacuum. After buying a cylinder of propane and a can of carb cleaner, I finally found my leak. It was a loose vacuum line at my vacuum / boost gauge itself, LoL.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

There was a line that runs from that vacuum junction on the passenger side, near the firewall.. it was gone, and another line that runs from near the smog pump to the intake, also gone. The base idle also needed to be set.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

get some 4.30s

Quick Reply: How can I increase low end torque?