MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   AOD QUESTION-WEIRD PROBLEMS (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/33738-aod-question-weird-problems.html)

SNORX302 02-07-2005 03:29 PM

AOD QUESTION-WEIRD PROBLEMS

Ive got an 86 gt with a 92 motor i think-no mass air which leads me to think its an earlier motor. Anyway-the tranny is the stock aod from 86 and its not really smooth at all. when i put the car in reverse, itll go for a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden it will fall out of gear and feel like its in nuetral. i ll rev it for a while at any rpm and the car will just roll forward-after like another 15 seconds the car will go back into reverse-but it isnt a jolting shift into it. it sorta smoothly goes in even at the high rpms. Same experience in drive-sometimes ull hit the gas and the revs go home, but the car doesnt respond right away but when it does, theres no jerking-neone think the tranny is done or is it something else. May do manual swap if trannys done-also any comments on how hard this is would be greatly appreciated.

mike s 95 02-07-2005 09:26 PM

RE: AOD QUESTION-WEIRD PROBLEMS

sounds like your low on fluid. if not i think its toast. mike

91hatchgt 02-08-2005 02:17 AM

Get a 5 spd. I helped with the swapp in a 91 Camaro RS, but have never tried it with a 5.0 ... It took a few days, but the outcome was good.. Go for it!

Quik 02-08-2005 07:48 AM

autos are better for racing, sticks are for fun

91hatchgt 02-08-2005 03:08 PM

^^^^^^^[sm=exactly.gif]

-5 spds are still very fun to race, just not as consistent (depending on the driver)
I am never more than a 10th off on my Et's I feel that is pretty consistent, maybe it's just the car...

Trannyman 02-08-2005 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SNORX302

Ive got an 86 gt with a 92 motor i think-no mass air which leads me to think its an earlier motor. Anyway-the tranny is the stock aod from 86 and its not really smooth at all. when i put the car in reverse, itll go for a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden it will fall out of gear and feel like its in nuetral. i ll rev it for a while at any rpm and the car will just roll forward-after like another 15 seconds the car will go back into reverse-but it isnt a jolting shift into it. it sorta smoothly goes in even at the high rpms. Same experience in drive-sometimes ull hit the gas and the revs go home, but the car doesnt respond right away but when it does, theres no jerking-neone think the tranny is done or is it something else. May do manual swap if trannys done-also any comments on how hard this is would be greatly appreciated.
Check the fluid level. Look carefully at the fluid, wipe some off the stick on your finger. Are there little bits of friction material in it? Let the sunlight hit the fluid on the stick. Any metal flakes flash at you? Take a good wiff of the fluid. Does it stink? (really bad burnt odor) Is it black?

SNORX302 02-08-2005 11:58 PM

may do the 5 spd swap-im gonna check the fluid tomorro for the smeels and metallic crap-ive heard about the burning smelll b4-it may be just bad fluid-ill post again tomorro with results-thanx so far though

SNORX302 02-09-2005 01:37 PM

i checked fluid today-its a brown color-it was a little low-but it did have some metallic flakes on it-it had a smell but it wasnt like a burning one-im gonna pick up some more fluid soon tot op it off-but what r those metal flakes and are they bad or signs of anything?

roundman 02-09-2005 01:42 PM

does the tranny have the TV cable properly attached and adjusted so the pressure internally is correct???

SNORX302 02-09-2005 11:29 PM

sorry to be stupid-but what is a tv cable? as far as any visible lines-everythinglooks ok and intact