5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Timing Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Timing Help

Well i took out the spout connector... turned the car on... hooked the timing ligght (this one looks like a gun) to the + & - battery, then put the clip on the number 1 wire.... i start the car.. loosen distributer but idk what to do from here... i pull the trigger and watch the light flash but idk what it means... plus i can't find my timing scale... there are numbers on the bottom of the harmonic balancer... buti never heard of jacking the car up to do a timing adjustment.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Timing Help

There should be a tab connected to the timing cover w/numbers on it and a line on your balancer. You may have to look closley and crank the motor until the mark on the balacers is visible.I usually markthe number on the pointer (degree of timing), that I will set my timing atand the line on thebalancerwith chalk, to make them easier to see. Once both are marked, start the car, point the light at the balancer and pull the trigger. Then turn the distributor gentlyuntil the two marks line up. Stock I believe is 10*, most people say to raise the timing in the 14-16* range, for better performance. Hope it helps
Old 09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

they are usually hard to see especially if you still have your original balancer, usea mark on the degree of timing you want to set it too, whiteout works well too
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

use some fine grit sand paper to clean it. Sometime's sraying it with wd-40 will make the #'s show.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

i actually go underneath the car and make a mark with paint or whatever right where you want to set the timing, it makes it extremley easy to see when your trying to time it
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

If u have the advance timing light with the dial and numbers on back of the light (gun) you hook up as you are doing (+/- #1 plug), mark the (0) on the balancer scale with chalk, white out, or paint pen , set the light dial to 12 and turn distributor until the (0) mark on balncer lines up with "time" mark or pointer, usually on the left (passenger) side of car by the balancer. The pointer should be stamped with "time".Start at 12 and drive it, then 14, etc until you get the best performance. Dont forgrt to unplug the "pill", or "plug" while you are doing your adjustments and plug it back up after you get the time set each time you do it if you want to experiment with the 12 thru 16 degree range.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

yea i can't see the damn numbers ill try thesand paper method but i got no WD-40.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Alero99
3rd Gear Member

ill have to try the sand paper method, but i do not have wd-40
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Iused a white crayon to makr mine.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 PM
bamaroxz
2nd Gear Member

Any kind of solvent cleaner or even hand cleaner and rag may help. As steele 1 replied, you can bump the motor over until you see the scale on the balancer and work it from the top of the car if it's easier. The shade tree way is to unplug your coil wire so the car wont start as you bump it, use a screwdriver or something similar and jump it off the solenoid on the firewall by the battery until the crank rotates and can see the scale. You can buy a "bump switch" at most Auto Parts stores for under $5 if you want instead of using a screwdriver. Plug the coil wire back up after you clean it and mark it. Hope that helps, I've been messing with my timing light trying to get mine dialed in and that worked good for me.

Quick Reply: Need Timing Help