5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine prep

Old 02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

Default engine prep

I have a 302 that I have on my stand right now, my plans are to redo all the gaskets on the motor and reinstall it into my stang, until I save up the money for my 331 that I want from DSS
Anyway, the block has been on the stand without the heads on it for a few months now, and has some surface rust and some crud from the gaskets on it, I want to repaint the block, so what should I do to prep the surface of the heads for new gaskets?

Also, I was thinking that now might be a good time to put new rings on the pistons, but I have heard that you shouldn't remove a piston from the top of a block becouse of the grove that develops over time. is this true? I have never removed a crank before, and I am sort of nervous about screwing it up if I remove it and try and reinstall it, is it that hard? I am fairly mechanical, and I have all the basic tools ie torque wrench and such, please lend me some advice
Old 02-19-2005, 04:00 PM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine prep

You can get rid of the rust by using liquid rust remover and some very fine sand paper. Make sure you don't scratch the surface because it will cause a leak in the long run.
The crank is not hard to change when the block is upside down. Make sure you install new bearings and DO NOT touch or scratch the channels on the crank. If you do you will need to resurface the channels. When the crank is out check your channels and make sure they are smooth and no grooves. New bearings are are must and make sure you follow the torque specs. If you don't you will end up with huge future problems.
I take the pistons out from the bottom after the crank is out.Install is easier from the top as you can see the rings better going in.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: engine prep

I would take the block to a machinest and let him hot tank it so you dont have to worry about scratching stuff up then when you get it back blow it down with the air hose take it out side and paint it. Also if you take it to the machinest let him magnafluxs the block it is like 60 bucks and it is worth it. it might need honed to get rid of the lip on top of the cylinder bore if it has one. and taking a crank out and installing it is not bad get a manual and read that section and do as they say.