5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP!!

hello everyone i have recently put a carbed 5.0 in my efi 4cylinder.it is carbureted . while trying to hook up my electric fuel pump, i noticed i could not find a hot wire anywhere....i would find a hot wire,hook it up, then as soon as i urned the car on it would not come on. also i am using an hei distributor. i had oto do the same thing with the hot wire for this and it would ground out. i have the engine ground to the chasis, and i am wondering why it is ot working. i hooked them both up to the starter solenoid and it works, but the brand new fuel pump ent out. after replacing it, the ignition module inside the distributor went out. i replaced this piece and the new piece went out after 1 mile. i was wondering what could be causing this and why cant i find a hotwire? is the 4 cylinder computer messing with the wires? is it going hay wire? also can i take out this computer?
thanks,tyler
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!

You need the A9L computer.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

i see...how much is the and where can i get it?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

hey sorry i forgot to add....this is a carbed engine
Old 10-01-2007, 06:20 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Are you still trying to use the in tank pump with your carb set-up? That won't work. You will need to get either a mechanical fuel pump, or an external electric fuel pump for a carb set-up..

Forget about the A9L computer, I'm a FI kind of guy. Carbs are not my thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

naw i have a new external fuel pump already hooked up....the car ran for about 4 days then all this started happening

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

anyone else did a carbed 5.0 swap that can help?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
highskewlmustnglvr86
2nd Gear Member

does anyone here have a carb? what or are you running a computer?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I haven't done a stang, but I did convert my son's f150 to a carb and HEI. All I did was remove the stock clip from the original distributor, took a test light and with the key in the run position, found a hot wire going to the old distributor. I used this wire to hook up the HEI. For the fuel pump, I used a Holley blue pump mounted on the frame right next to the tank (I also had to run a Holley regulator with this pump, the red pump doesn't need one), and ran a hot wire from the inertia switch that controlled the original fuel pump, to the new pump. The Holley pump has no problem picking up fuel, and pulling it through the old submersible pump in the tank. It was actually a pretty easy conversion. If you don't want to wire it through the inertia switch, locate the fuel pump relay under the hood, and splice into that for your source.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

my goodness I did a 4 cyl to 5.0 swap and you can remove the complete 4 cyl harness and ecm..it's not needed.....and you only end up cutting 4 or 5 wires right at the firewall where it goes by the master cylinder.....I used a 85 gt as a donar car so my 92 4 cyl is now a 5.0 carbed car.....and I used the 85 ignition system and just found a 12 volt switched ignition power source =easy.........as for the fuel pump I ran a mechanical but on my 85 gt that used to be cfi fuel injection...I'm running a holley blue pump and used the regular 12 volt feed back at the tank for the efi pump.....I removed the efi pump as I hope you did too and put a piece of metal tube in it's place as a pick up and so the fuel pump stays powered up when the key is switched to run and not switch back off because it doesn't see a crank signal like they do in an efi system to initially prime the system before cranking ,.... you'll have to ground one wire on the fuel pump relay underneath the drivers seat....I can't remember which one but that's how I did it....... the fuel pump will always run as soon as the ignition is switched on...and I've yet to install an oil pressure cut off switch to rectify the issue....I'm to lazy ..besides I got a manual switch to flip it off!!!