5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Inside Front Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:40 PM
tripleg00

Default Inside Front Tire Wear

I am having a problem with my front tires wearing on the inside. (Both sides)

This is a 1990 5.0 LX -- apprx 225k miles on it.

They are worn in apprx 10k miles. I have replaced numerous front end parts including, struts, springs, ball joints, bearings. I have not replaced the steering rack... yet. There doesn't seem to be any play in it. Rear shocks have been replaced as well. The alignment was done and everything was in spec or "the green". They wear as if it has negative camber.

This started happening at apprx 150k miles (???). I had tires and alignment done at a local garage. They replaced tires and did 2-3 alignments with no success. Each time they did an alignment they said it wasn't out to begin with.

The struts,etc were replaced where I work now. I have not had the chance to bring it back to see where the alignment reads now. But I have the feeling it will be in spec.

I bought the car new and it has never been in an accident. It is completely stock except the rear diff assy was replaced.

Any ideas, suggestion are greatly appreciated as I don't drive it much because of the tires. (it gets expensive replacing them that often)

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:07 PM
ldstang50
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Inside Front Tire Wear

Cars are designed to be with in a certain spec of alignment when they are built. All cars vary depending on weight, load carrying, and design purposes. With that being said, your car might still be in manufacturer recomended alignment settings, but they might be on the outer limits if you understand what I'm saying.
For instance, say Ford recomends your car's front camber to be between -1.0 to -1.5 degress and a difference of total degree of .5. You might be running -1.5 degrees of camber on both sides. That makes the difference between the two sides 0 and you are still with in specs. This could cause you to wear your tires prematurely just by having them on the outer edge of the specifications. Then add in the weight of yourself and a typical load you might have, and now because of the squat your car has, you are out of specs. Also check on your toe at the same time. Toe is the main cause of tire wear. This is because it 'drags' the tire when you are driving. This creates abrasion all the way across the tire, causing your treads to 'cup.' If you have a slight camber issue, coupled with a toe issue, this will greatly depreciate the tread life of your tire.
My suggestion, look on line and see if you can't find the suspension specifications of your car. You will need year, make, model and engine size. You might be able to find it, this way you know what your specifications are supposed to be.
Also ask your alignment tech if you can watch him set the car up on the alignment rack and print out what your alignment is set at on your car. All of the newer alignment machines keep a data base of EVERY single car made so he should also be able to provide you a manufacturer's recomendation.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:13 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

At the Ford garage I work at...we attach every alignment sheet to the RO so the customer knows what got aligned to where. I bet too that you "green" is not so green. I know if I were to align my vehicle, I'd want to align right dead in the middle of the spec.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:57 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Also make sure the specs in the computer are the proper *****.You didn't lower your car did you?You could also be towed out to much and wear the insides of both of the tires.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

If your car is lowered, a normal alignment job will not do at all. You need to take it to someone who is familiar with aligning wheels on lowered cars, but even then, it'll still wear on the inside, it's normal for lowered cars unless you buy a kit to fix the camber and that type of angle so your wheels are completely straight up and not angled in toward the top...
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

how about looking at all the rubber bushings in the front end
Old 02-27-2005, 05:55 PM
tripleg00

From What I remember the bushings and strut tops were done. And no the car is not lowered.

To the best of my knowledge the specs are correct in the machine. This started happening long before I
had the work done where I work. So I don't think it's the specs.

What about setting the camber slightly positive? Even if I have to install those camber kits primarily used for the lowered cars.
Maybe even replace the sterring rack? Of course this means another set of tires. ($$$)

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:24 PM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

yeah thats weird. on my mustang my front tires wear on both sides of the tire. i cant figure it out.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HAUS

yeah thats weird. on my mustang my front tires wear on both sides of the tire. i cant figure it out.
If your tires wear both inside and outside edges on the same tire that is usually underinflation.If it was just the center it would be overinflated.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:37 AM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang8719

ORIGINAL: HAUS

If your tires wear both inside and outside edges on the same tire that is usually underinflation.If it was just the center it would be overinflated.
i put the right amount of air pressure in the tires. i put 35 lbs. thats what the maual says. same as in the back and the backs are fine and they always stay at 35 lbs. i check them every week and there fine. i was thinking maybe something in the front suspention. maybe struts. i heard bad struts can cause that where on the outer parts of your tires tread. im not really worried about it at the moment. im just gonna fix up the car and sell it.. its not my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Inside Front Tire Wear