5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

UPDATE:--MAF or sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

Default UPDATE:--MAF or sensor problem

UPDATE!!
Hey guys.. i still havnt got this fixed. i had the TFI module checked at the auto store yesterday and it passed every test. the car got worse and worse day by day so i checked and changed the fuel filter and it was sooo dirty. it was black with junk in there and stuff. after i changed that the car ran alot better but it still cuts off at 3500 rpms. when you push on the gas the car just lunges and stalls until you let off the gas and then it runs fine. one of the codes i pulled was running lean on the left side so the guy at the auto store told me it could be the O2 sensor. they cost a lot of money 70$ for one! so i just bought 1 and changed the left side. anyways, it didnt make a difference. to me...it seems like it would be something to do with the throttle. some kind of sensor that is not mixing the fuel and air right. what kind of problems would you have if your throttle position sensor was acting up. what if the MAF sensor was bad..my car idles fine and it doesnt miss a beat until you push the gas down half an inch. and also it only seems to do it when the car is under load. like while your driving and quarter throttle.
UPDATE: I just went outside and unplugged the MAF, cranked it up and took it down the road. the car ran better then it had been. it seemed smoother but it still did the same thing. while it was unplugged it didnt do anything different than if it was plugged in. just the check engine light came on and stayed on.How can i test this and what would i have to do to calibrate the new one or maybe calibrate the old one again. or can you reset the old one.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
vvelez5
1st Gear Member

Default RE: UPDATE:--MAF or sensor problem

I had this same problem and still really had no clue what was wrong with it I replaced the throttle position sensor and i also replaced the idle air control motor and also cleaned the EGR valve and still had problems my buddy came in and just started hitting sensors (lol funny but true) he also adjusted my distributor and then it finally started running smooth i really dont know what was wrong with it since we messed with the sensors and the distributor at the same time but i think it was the distributor. hope this helps some what
Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

yea thats what i think...i checked my timing and my timing was still at 14* so it wasnt off. i dont know if fouled plugs would do this or a bad coil. there are sooo many things i need to replace. but im trying to sell the car.. so i dont want to put a grand into it just to sell it. i need to know what the problem is s so i can replace that part. what will your MAF do if its bad? anyone ever have this issue.or has anyone ever put a MAF on there car that isnt tuned for it. thats what my car is doing.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

run koeo, and koer codes!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

i already ran the codes, and the codes were, maf went below 0.4 on the last 80 warm up cycles. running lean on the left side those were the only codes that it gave me.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

now the car is running like its out of gas but its not. i changed the fuel filter and it ran a lil better but now its doing it again so i bought another fuel filter and it didnt change anything. its acting like im fixing to run out of gas but i have a full tank of gas. and its jujst missing like crazy, spitting and sputtering and when you push on the gas it boggs out really bad and doesnt go anywhere until you let up off the gas then it acts fine. i unplugged my MAF sensor and the car ran the same if not a lil better. wouldnt the car run worse if the maf sensor wasnt plugged in?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:32 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

get a $6 can of MAF cleaner from you local pepboys or autozone, take off your maf, spray the **** out of the filiment in there (looks like a light bulb filitment) but DONT touch anything to it because it is very delicate, let it air dry, then re install, that ending up being my problem after 6 weeks of trying to get my car running after I bought it. If cleaning it doesn't work bec maybe it is not dirty in the first place( you can't tell by looking you just have to try and clean it ) then maybe ur sensor is bad and u need a new one
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Lysawy
1st Gear Member

Check the fuel pressure make sure you are getting fuel in......

scan the computer and also you have cats maybe they clogged?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ekthrilla

i already ran the codes, and the codes were, maf went below 0.4 on the last 80 warm up cycles.
Clean the MAF sensor as described, then run the car a little, and re-check codes...

ORIGINAL: ekthrilla
running lean on the left side
Things that come to mind...
1. Bad O2, or other fault in the wiring
2. Fault in the O2 wiring
3. Exhaust manifold leak
4. Failing injector???

good luck,
jason
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need to run a current koeo/koer test and then troubleshoot that code..at the very least if you don't have the material or knowledge to test the codes you get try a known good maf on the car.. maybe a friend of yours has a 5.0 and will loan you his for the test

Quick Reply: UPDATE:--MAF or sensor problem