5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

most lift a stock 5.0 can take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: most lift a stock 5.0 can take?

ORIGINAL: Mustangkiler

ok im glad you can repeat whatever joel says, but it does have a part in it, but a lot of others things do too like duration and overlap, because usually when the valve is at the lifti ts rated at its not when the piston is at tdc, that being said doesnt change the fact that that cam cant be run with stock pistons without nothcin em more if its 544 lift with 1.6's
I am not repeating what any one person said. I am telling you what the valves are saying to the pistons.

A fast ramp rate with early intake opening valve and late exhaust closing valve will hit at stock lift of .444", but many guys go beyond .600" with stock pistons.

Why would the valve need to be opened fully when the piston is at TDC? Why would you want all that potential of air to fill "no void."

I believe you need to read up on valve timing in relation to the piston's position.

No valve at peak lift is when the piston is at TDC. The piston is a couple inches down the bore. That is why intake valves open just a few degrees before TDC, but close well after the intake stroke is done (on the compression stroke).
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

5 spd your basically repeating what i am saying, i am agreeing with you, all i am saying is that lift is a part of it but not all of it, by your logic if it has nothing to do with it then you could put a 620 lift cam in straight up with no problems since according too you lifth as absolutely nothing to do with it, peak lift is well before thepiston is at tdc on the compression stroke and after it passes tdc in the start of the intake stroke thats why duration has a part in it because its all about the timing of where that valve is in relation to the piston.if its 512 with 1.6 rockers then yes you could use it, but make sure all your other parts like stall are set at making power from 3 grandto at least 6500because thats when that cam will make any power and get a 410 gear.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Mustangkiller - You are still a little confused.

Peak lift occurs during the intake stroke, not the compression stroke. The intake valve closes shortly after entering into the compression stroke. The intake valve actually starts opening during the exhaust stroke and closes during the compression stroke.

The 5.0L is a 4-stroke engine.

- Intake stroke
- Compression stroke
- Power stroke
- Exhaust stroke

Lift is not the factor. It is the period of overlap. Duration is part of that, but not lift.

I ran a .560" lift camshaft "straight-up" with lots of clearance.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

that is exactlywhat im saying 5spd your saying what i just saidits just a failure to communicate, as for your 560 cam what was the duration probably hardly anything over stock, i could run a high duration low lift cam too and not have ptv problems, all im saying is it affects it since lift also changes where the valve is, finding a cam to work with stock pistons needs to find a good balnce between the two without hittin the piston. If lift has nothing to do with it then why is it that cam he is asking about will work with 1.6's but will hit the pistons with 1.7's if lift had nothing to do with it then he could run 1.7's no problems but he cant because the extra lift is too much and it will hit the pistons while the duration is the same.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

that is exactlywhat im saying 5spd your saying what i just saidits just a failure to communicate, as for your 560 cam what was the duration probably hardly anything over stock, i could run a high duration low lift cam too and not have ptv problems, all im saying is it affects it since lift also changes where the valve is, finding a cam to work with stock pistons needs to find a good balnce between the two without hittin the piston. If lift has nothing to do with it then why is it that cam he is asking about will work with 1.6's but will hit the pistons with 1.7's if lift had nothing to do with it then he could run 1.7's no problems but he cant because the extra lift is too much and it will hit the pistons while the duration is the same.
No, that is not what you are saying. I am not saying what you are saying.

The duration @ .050" was over 20* more. The LSA was much tighter (LSA is based off valve events and duration).

Lift has nothing to do with it. You can have a high duration/lift cam not hit, but have a low duration/low lift cam hit.

It really all gets back down to the lobe design.

About him hitting with 1.7s, who said this? The higher roller rocker ratio will get the valves to open a bit quicker, but at a very small rate. If he is hitting with the 1.7, the 1.6 is VERY VERY close. To close to even run.

There is a lot more to a camshaft than lift and duration.

Please do not take what I am saying as offensive. I am only trying to help...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
cheetha94607
2nd Gear Member

so will this cam work or not? if it wont would the xe270hr work?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

No, that is not what you are saying. I am not saying what you are saying.

The duration @ .050" was over 20* more. The LSA was much tighter (LSA is based off valve events and duration).

Lift has nothing to do with it. You can have a high duration/lift cam not hit, but have a low duration/low lift cam hit.

It really all gets back down to the lobe design.

About him hitting with 1.7s, who said this? The higher roller rocker ratio will get the valves to open a bit quicker, but at a very small rate. If he is hitting with the 1.7, the 1.6 is VERY VERY close. To close to even run.

There is a lot more to a camshaft than lift and duration.

Please do not take what I am saying as offensive. I am only trying to help...
you may be able to use it on a stock shortblock, or you may not. there are too many variables and factory tolerances to "guess" if it will hit or not. You will have to put it in, and check how close it is. there is no getting away from it.

and the max recommended lift for stock heads and springs is 0.540"

I misread what cam it was, and edited my previous post
Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

silver - You are wrong a few accounts there.

The lift "maximum" is based off of the coil bind and capability of the spring. It does not have to do with piston to valve clearance.

Your assumption of the roller rockers is wrong as well.

Just because your camshaft did not clear, you cannot take the lift and blaim it for the reason.

Oh look, Joel is here...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
cheetha94607
2nd Gear Member

with the xe276hr 1.7 rockers the lift is .544 intake & exhaust.

Quick Reply: most lift a stock 5.0 can take?