5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Strange starting problem?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
tntcobra
1st Gear Member

Default Strange starting problem?

Here's the deal - the car is a '92 GT 5 speed. When I have a fully charged battery, I turn the key and there is a clicking, almost hammering for several seconds before the starter finally engauges and starts spinning the engine. Then the car will start and run fine.

I have replaced the solenoid on the fender. Twice. I have replaced the starter. I have replaced all of the related cables - 2 gauge from the solenoid to the starter, 4 gauge from the battery to the solenoid.

Is there another relay somewhere that I'm missing? Everything I've been able to find in past posts refers to the solenoid that I've already replaced.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Strange starting problem?

Have you checked your grounds? If where your ground cable grounds to is lose or corroded it will cause those symptoms. Once the car is running. It might be running off of the alternator and whatever juice is in the battery. I'd check the ground on the battery post and on the frame end.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

scuff the surface where the grounds or cables bolt to.....corrosion/ dirty or bad connections may be the culprit
Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sounds like grounding probems. Clean and replace what has to be replaced.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
tntcobra
1st Gear Member

I replaced the battery cable at the same time I replaced the starter feed. It's a new 4 gauge battery cable, new terminal, etc. I also replaced the cable to the block.

Not saying it's not ground, just saying it's already been replaced.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Cobra77
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

scuff the surface where the grounds or cables bolt to.....corrosion/ dirty or bad connections may be the culprit

That's the biggie though. Even though the cables are replaced they might not be getting a good connection. Most of the time in this situation it's never the cable, but the connection at the end of it isn't strong enough.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

If you're sure of the grounds being clean... You could take the starter off and leave the wires on it and try to turn over the ignition. To check and see if the starter does it without a load on it. On chevys you have to sometimes shim the starter housing. So that the starter gear meshes with the flywheel/flexplate.
I don't think ford starters need to be shimed?But if it doesn't act up without a load. Then your starter gear could be getting in a bind.
And now for more questions....
Does it do it everytime? Or only when it's hot? And do your headlights dim when you put an electrical load (turn on the heater,stereo,rear defroster)on the car while running?
If it does it all the time... Could be... grounding problem,defective solenoid, starter gear binding, or seizing starter.
When the cars hot.... could be... defective starter, or solenoid.
If your headlights dim.... almost definately a cable problem. Because your cars running off of the altenator.
I'd go to an autoparts store that test charging systems. They can load test the battery and charging system. It might shed some light on if there's a problem elsewhere than what you've replaced.
And finally..... Don't forget..... Just because you've replaced something with a new part from the parts store doesn't mean that it's right. I changed 5 starters in 7 monthson my dad toyota van. Everyone came from autozone. Then I went to advanced autoparts... It's lasted for 3 years. I've worked on alot of cars. From my perspective.... re-man stuff is 50/50. U never know what you're going to get.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeyboy

If your headlights dim.... almost definately a cable problem. Because your cars running off of the altenator.
If the car isnt cranked.....its not running.....period. the alternator is completely seperate from the starter, the starter gets its ground where it bolts to the block. and its power directly from the power cable to the(battery or that cable coming off the solenoid which is touching the battery cable, i have a trunk conversion so i forget where it originally was) that clicking noise is the relay kicking on and off repetitively. id check into that. make sure there is full battery voltage on that terminal on the solenoid
Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

hell, what am i thinking.....check the ignition, it might be wearing out, and intermittently not energizing the solenoid......u can just jump the wires on the solenoid and the starter should crank, do it a couple times, and if it works fine every time, its something i nthe ignition
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 302f150

hell, what am i thinking.....check the ignition, it might be wearing out, and intermittently not energizing the solenoid......u can just jump the wires on the solenoid and the starter should crank, do it a couple times, and if it works fine every time, its something i nthe ignition
I think he means ignition switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange starting problem?