5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1 more POS problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:23 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

Default 1 more POS problem

Yea, one more problem. About a week ago the car was runnin great. I could go from a roll in 2nd, dump the clutch, spin em, keep em spinnin through some of third. Now when I'm movin it's havin a hard time gettin em loose in 2nd? It also doesn't sound as smooth as it did before in higher rpms. Before it was a nice even exhaust note all the way through the rpm range above idle. Now once you get up there it kinda sounds like "poppy"? I don't know how to describe it too well. Kinda like a steady fast pulse rather than the nice smooth even exhaust. Any idea's what that could be? Like I said, was doin fine before, then I melted 2 plug wires, replaced em with my old summit ones, which all looked pretty good, and I put in new plugs. Maybe one of the summit wires could be bad too?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
9tyfiveo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1 more POS problem

sounds like you are very hard on your car personally....
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM
9tyfiveo
1st Gear Member

sorry, all i can suggest is to check to see if you might have messed up the timing. just a guess. plugs possibly
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Put new wires on it.
What is the point of dumping the clutch while rolling in second gear besides wasting u-joints and tires?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

your problem is you need to take care of your stang.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run a koer/koeo test and check for codes and perform a cylinder balance test via the test also to see if any cylinders are dropping out at
Old 02-16-2008, 12:24 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

run a koer/koeo test and check for codes and perform a cylinder balance test via the test also to see if any cylinders are dropping out at
Last few times I tried when I had my major electrical hassle, it would never give me anything when I tried the tests. Wouldn't do a single thing. I'm guessing due to some hacked up wiring somewhere down the line.

To the rest of ya, it's a mustang, not my grandma's Grand Am. I drive hard and have fun, no point in having a rwd v8 muscle car if you're gonna baby it everywhere, IMHO.

You go ahead and keep those tires firmly planted, I'll keep em spinnin.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: pastfast125

ORIGINAL: mjr46

Last few times I tried when I had my major electrical hassle, it would never give me anything when I tried the tests. Wouldn't do a single thing. I'm guessing due to some hacked up wiring somewhere down the line.

To the rest of ya, it's a mustang, not my grandma's Grand Am. I drive hard and have fun, no point in having a rwd v8 muscle car if you're gonna baby it everywhere, IMHO.

You go ahead and keep those tires firmly planted, I'll keep em spinnin.

hmmmmmmmmmm....Your not gonna win races that way....the only race that you'll win is the one to the tire shop............as for the test..if you can't run a koer test possible due to what you say or improper methood ..either way to diagnosis a misfire or rough run...you'd need an occiliscope to view ignition voltage firing kv.....and view a parade pattern of each cylinder to exam secondary ignition pattern and cleanliness of spark..if you got none of that or any clue what I'm refering to..take it to a shop ftw
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

we have an oscilliscope at my school, so I can probably do that on tuesday hopefully. And no it doesn't win races, but they won't spin anymore once I get me my new tires, and some suspension work. Then it'll just be tranny breakage time.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

cool!!! whip that puppy out and see which cylinder is causing all the probs??? how are the cap rotor and wires?? new?? old??

Quick Reply: 1 more POS problem