5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

crazy headlights, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default crazy headlights, need help

my car does this really weird thing with headlights. when you turn on the headlights they will be fine for about 1 minute. then they start flickering on and off and it never stops. ive watched and it is a pattern that repeats, 4 quick pulses and few second pause then does it again. the headlights and taillights do it. ive redone all the grounds and such so that is not the problem. here is what i think it is, a cop used to own the vechile and i think he had the cop flashers installed to where they would pulse like that. it is a timed rhythem that always takes one minute for it to start doing it then does the same pattern indefinetly. i cannot drive the car like this and it must be fixed. there has to be a switch where you can turn this on and off somewhere. i was hopeing you guys mught know a little bit about this so i can remove or switch off whatever is causing this dumbass light pattern. thanks guys i know it must be something that doesnt happen often but i am stumped and out of ideas, thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: crazy headlights, need help

UNLESS IT WAS A SSP MUSTANG THEN IT MAY HAVE A BAD/short at the pin connector for the multi -function / dimmer switch...cause cops due to regulation can not use personal vehicles and have them outfitted with police packages a s such..I asked our local state trooper this very question last month when he came in to go over our inspection sheets
Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

If ya think he might have done it, than go back and ask him.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

vids!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

i got it from a small dealer, the guy lives in another state. there was a cop support sticker in the rear hatch. the reason i dont think its a bad ground is because it is on perfect timing. a bad ground wouldnt do that. its like watching christmas lights that are set on a blinking pattern. the interior lights do it as well. the alternator guage jumps around when it does this, but im sure thats because the lights are drawing volts then stoping and starting and so on. maybe he did it illegally i dont know. ive heard of kids doing this crap on there hondas so they might have gotten a hold of a stang. i dont know for a fact that a cop owned the vehicle but the support sticker in the window kinda gave me a theroy. what mustang owner would put a support stickier on there car unless they were one??? this cars electrical was all jacked up, the guy didnt know what the hell he was doning when he did the electrical. everything was done wrong so im thinking a fake cop lights was another done incorrectly and illegally.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

being that it does it with the interior lights I'd check the dimmer switch and the little thumb wheel switch to dim interior lights.. there is a faulty connection somewhere in the circuit.......it only happens when the lights are switched on right???..so during daylight the car is fine right??
Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

yes the car acts fine during the day. the motor acts fine when it pulses even. only the lights are affected. where is this dimmer switch connection located?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

i also might add my speedometer quite working. the interior lights fuse was blown as well. i just replaced that today.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the dimmer/ multi function switch is the turn signal/ bright light function.... pull the steering column housing covers off and you'll see the plug that goes into the back of the switch... look for any burnt or charred pins when you unplug it
Old 02-16-2008, 09:38 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

A support sticker doesnt mean a cop owned it. I have several on mine and I'm not a cop. You can get those stickers by knowing a cop or donationg to a cop fund. Usualy people put them on in hopes that the cop will be a little more leanient if they get pulled over. sometimes it works others it doesnt.
Any way check the power connections for corrosion under the hood. it can also be your alternator(regulator inside the alternator)doing the spikes.

Quick Reply: crazy headlights, need help