MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   FenderWall Selenoid Question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/407611-fenderwall-selenoid-question.html)

92FOX 02-16-2008 11:02 PM

FenderWall Selenoid Question

We'll i have a question the wire on the Fenderwall Selinoid not the Pos+ or Neg- Post but the top middle post there is one wire going there that is red .! ? What does that control the Ingition Switch ?

And what kind of wire to i buy to replace it , And what is the proper way to replace it with "BUTT Connectors"?

92FOX 02-16-2008 11:23 PM

RE: FenderWall Selenoid Question

bump please help,

AdderMk2 02-16-2008 11:36 PM

it doesnt "control" anything

thats the signal wire from the ignition switch, which causes the solenoid to flip and crank the starter

LX 90 02-16-2008 11:38 PM

solder it thats a big negative on butt conectors

92FOX 02-17-2008 12:17 AM

Can't i just twist the cable's together and what kind of wire do i buy

-SHIFTY- 02-17-2008 12:27 AM

Go to your local parts store and buy a crimper and connector. I wouldn't half ass my connections there. One side should be hot all the time and the other not. Also that is your ingnition power wire, and I would suggest the same gage wire if you are planning on replacing the wire. Correct me if I'm wrong. Patience my friend. Take your time do it once!

92FOX 02-17-2008 12:34 AM

We'll i plan on doing it right. That's why im asking for information, Now first of all i dont know what kind of connecters to Buy!...

I do have a CRIMPER And I have Some "Butt Connectors" , Should i used the but connecters.

When you say one side should be hot all the time and one should i really dont understand at all what your talking about . Im not good with Electrical lol. But i would appreciate if you help me ..

And the gauge wire'! How do i buy the same gauge when i dont know what gauge the wire is .

AdderMk2 02-17-2008 06:42 AM

what is your reason for replacing the wire?

-SHIFTY- 02-17-2008 08:56 AM

There should be three bolts coming off the top of your selenoid. The two main ones are (power in from the battery & and power out to the starter. If you buy or have a "poke" meter. This looks like a screw driver with a wire coming out of it that you ground to whatever metal is nearby whatever you are testing. You need to make suer your getting power first. The wire coming from the battery should be "hot" or have power running through it at all times. When the selenoid is engaged it closes the circut and gives power to the other wire that is hooked to your starter. If I were you and didn't know what kind of wire or connectors to buy. I would take off my old wire and connector and go to local PS. Ask the guy if you have to, wires and connectors are standard stuff and they should be able to help you no problem. Try doing a little research to. "Google = Auto wire gage size". Good Luck man