5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
wickedangelstar

Default Starter Button

Okay, Bare with me on this....I have a 91 5.0 that has this button installed that you have to push before turning the ignition key. It isn't a remote starter (per say) but if you don't push the button the car won't start. It is more of an anti theft device. There is a small (maybe 4x6) black box with several wires (about 7-8) connected to this box. I just bought a new battery and installed it. I have two questions. One, This button has started acting finiky (starting when it wants) and the box has started ticking (really fast like a drum roll). What could be going on? Two, the new battery has died.[:@] Could this box be draining it? I have a chilton manual and can do simple things (change an alternator for example) but nothing really major. Please keep this in mind when answering. I won't understand too much technical talk. Thanks, Carlita
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Starter Button

How does the button work? WIth a key? If thats true, then you would think it would just be inline with the wire that goes to the starter solenoid?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

get under the dash and see where the wires are coming from I'm guessing there should be wires running from the box to the ignition switch also
what does the car do if you turn the ignition switch without pressing the button for example
is there no power to it at all or what?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why don't you just do away with that redneck to stupid to find the problem andfix ..whomever did it and correct the initial problem....most likely has a bad ignition switch.....so rip all that crap out and fix it like the factory made it to work...nothin more horrid than a stock fox with a push button start[:'(]
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
wickedangelstar

To star the car you puch the button and then turn the key. If you turn the key without pushing the button it is as if you only turned the key half way (dash lights, levels indicators rise). I did some searching on the site and I think what I have is an ignition switch connector. Whatever it is , it is ticking away like mad. This was all in the car when I got it.As I said before, thebattery has died. I tried jumping it and from inside the car it sounded like a loud clanking (solenoid?) but when you standnear the engine is sound more liketheclick, click, click of the alternator. The battery (just bought it four days ago) won't takeenough charge to turn the engine over. My daughter drove it to school and noticed that the air bag light was flashing but nothing else remarkable. I really appreciate your help.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

why don't you just do away with that redneck to stupid to find the problem andfix ..whomever did it and correct the initial problem....most likely has a bad ignition switch.....so rip all that crap out and fix it like the factory made it to work...nothin more horrid than a stock fox with a push button start[:'(]
Hey, what's wrong with redneck's ya damn yankee. I love my pushbutton on my fox. But mine is inengine bay. Come's in handy when adjusting valve's or for any work needing to start car or turn engine over.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need to get the battery back up to a full charge before you proceed..otherwise the cars systems will do all sorts of wierd stuff
Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

well the battery should have a warrenty, or atleast a autopart store will charge it for free.

and if its "ticking" i would disconect that thing, who knows if its grounding out, and could start a fire, or something crazy like that.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
wickedangelstar

Thanks, I will do that next. Once the battery is good, any warm and fuzzies on what could be the problem? Do those little black boxes go bad? Everything seems to be connected well. There is is long black wire hanging down that resembles an attenae. The end has a clear plastic cap but it doesn't look like the kind of wire you connect to anything. I am trying to find a starting point I guess. I am a single mom trying to get her daughter's dream car back in commission. Is there a (do it yourself) way to test the starter? I know how to check the alternator (if I can get it started).
Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM
wickedangelstar

I am going to leave for a while to get the battery charged. I am at home, the car is at my daughter's high school. Than you all for yor help and I am sure I will be back with more questions after the battery s charged. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Starter Button