5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No Heat...with Overheating...Thermostat??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default No Heat...with Overheating...Thermostat??

My buddy is having issues....I thought I would hit you guys up

His car blows no heat out the vents...even a normal op temperature. Even worse, his temp will get up really high (without totally overheating).

He brought it to a shop and they wanted to replace his radiator, thermo, belt......for like $800!!! I told him its probably just his thermostat.....what do you think?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: No Heat...with Overheating...Thermostat??

Is it blowing air just not warm air?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

did it do this all of a sudden??? has he had a leak..?? and been adding stop leak and or coolant...cause that crap can clog the cooling system and the thermostat not working would not affect the heater.. cause the inlet draws coolant from the intake and the return goes into the water pump.....may be a thermostat maybe not..you need to see why the shop reccommended a radiator...it may have calcium build up causing a restriction.....don't be quick to assume the shop is taking him for a ride!! you need to know all info surronding the reccommendation..not all shops are screw ups!!!....also need to make sure the cooling system if it has been low on colant at any point recently has been bleed properly
Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Is it blowing air just not warm air?
Yes.....I don't think it has anything to do with the HVAC...

Since the water temp is getting so high, I am thinking it is something under the hood...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

did it do this all of a sudden??? has he had a leak..?? and been adding stop leak and or coolant...cause that crap can clog the cooling system and the thermostat not working would not affect the heater.. cause the inlet draws coolant from the intake and the return goes into the water pump.....may be a thermostat maybe not..you need to see why the shop reccommended a radiator...it may have calcium build up causing a restriction.....don't be quick to assume the shop is taking him for a ride!! you need to know all info surronding the reccommendation..not all shops are screw ups!!!....also need to make sure the cooling system if it has been low on colant at any point recently has been bleed properly
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

No leaks...but he did say he added some coolant the other day (no stop leak though)

Iam not sure when it started for him, but I can find out tomorrow

The only reason I think the shop is jerking him is the prices they were throwing at him...

They wanted $320 for a stock radiator and $25 for radiator cap,3 hours labor to install it....

$25 for the thermo, and 1 hour to install it....

It seemed a little fishy to me
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 PM
campbell990
1st Gear Member

sounds like a clogged heater core to me...
Old 02-20-2008, 08:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Flush the rad and replace stat yourself. Lot cheaper and those are not hard to do. I think you should be able to uncap heater core hoses andforce water thru them to see if there is a blockage somewhere.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
1979must

Dem prices seem a little too steep.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
93_five_oh
2nd Gear Member

my bet is the thermostat failed shut.
feel the radiator hoses to see if they are warm or not... my brothers truck did that over christmas. no hot air out of the vents, but it was overheating big time. i'd start with replacing the t-stat.