5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

maf problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

Default maf problem

i just installed a 75mm mass air meter for 24's and 24lbs injectors into my 95gt now its not running right, its getting way too much fuel. Its sputtering,black smoke out the tail pipes, etc
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
BLK89GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: maf problem

why did you go 24's. whats done to the car for you to need ones that big
Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

i went with 24's because i just bought a throttle body and needed a bigger mass air and i didnt want to buy things twice, im getting my car more or less ready to just drop a new long block in
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
BLK89GT
1st Gear Member

you lost me a little bit on this one dude. you got a new tb and mass air. but you bought 24lb injectors for a new block but you putthem on the old one? if your starting to buy stuff for you new motor i would putthe partsaside till the build. you are taking the chance of messing up the new parts on a old motor. back to the main question. someone correct me if im wrond.that is to big of a setup for your car. way to much fuel. i would put the other things back on which will be easy except for the injectors they can be a pain. then just keep collecting parts for your build but save them till u do it. from what i gather you dont realy need to up the injectors till you do a h/c/i swap or a power adder. good luck man
Old 03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Guys...
If the MAF/ecu/Injectors are properly selected, then there shouldn't be any problems.

If there is a mismatch in these parts, then problems WILL arise.

While the 24's may be overkill, they won't cause srious issues....IF the parts are properly selected!

Personally, I like the idea of buying parts with the future goals of the car in mind... even if it means the current setup may not be 'perfect'

To the question asked...
Where did you get the MAF?
What ecu do you have?
What brand MAF?
What part numbers are on it?

These questions will help figure out if you have a 'hardware mismatch'

jason
Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 AM
cody91mustanglx
1st Gear Member

first of all ya should of went with a smaller throttle body and mass air, i am at 30 ib injectors with 75mm mass air and 70 mm throttle body, i think u miss callibrated ur selections, call jegs and ask them they will help ya with ur question
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

did you get new injectors or buy used ones
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dudeboy

Guys...
If the MAF/ecu/Injectors are properly selected, then there shouldn't be any problems.

If there is a mismatch in these parts, then problems WILL arise.

While the 24's may be overkill, they won't cause srious issues....IF the parts are properly selected!

Personally, I like the idea of buying parts with the future goals of the car in mind... even if it means the current setup may not be 'perfect'

To the question asked...
Where did you get the MAF?
What ecu do you have?
What brand MAF?
What part numbers are on it?

These questions will help figure out if you have a 'hardware mismatch'

jason
Thats what i figured, and i like the idea of beingable to take the motor out rebuild or replace and the rest of the car is ready for it. seeing as i dont have the money for it at this moment i have other priorities at the moment.

as for the parts the mass air is summit brand calibrated for 24's with there cold air tuning(could that be the issue), fuel injectors are ford racing, and the throttle body bbk but its not installed i wanted to make sure everythings running right before i put on the tb and set idle. all my parts are new, im personally not a fan of buiying used parts.

the ecu is stock, it had a chip in it (superchips brand iam assuming it was an off the shelf deal i didnt buy it it was on the car when i got it) and once this problem happend i took it out disconnected the battery for 30seconds ish and tryed again and same problems
Old 03-02-2008, 11:05 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Milton,
Some things in life are more important than Mustangs... which means sometimes we don't get all the money for our builds at once... been there myself [8D]

Do you remember the catch code on the ecu?
If not, it would be worth the time to remove the kickpanel again to take a gander at it...
(the previous owner may have done something weird???)

When you asked Summit for the MAF meter, did you specify the year of your Mustang?
It may be worth a look around the Summit site to confirm your part numbers match for a stock Fox Mustang.

It will take more than 30s to clear out the KAM... Give it a good 30 minutes.

How long did you run the new setup? It can take about an hour for the Adaptive Strategy to really settle down...

Other than that...
?????????

Are you getting any codes?

jason
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

ok update i got it running properly and do i ever feel stupid lol. the problem was the rubber seal around the maf harness got damaged and was stopping it from plugging in propperly, thanks for the help everyone

Quick Reply: maf problem