5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Push Button Start - Wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
92FOX
1st Gear Member

Default Push Button Start - Wiring.

Isn't there a way to install a push button start on a 1993 Mustang GT, By Running a wire from fenderwall selenoid to button..?
If so how is it suposed to be "EXACLEY" WIRED"
Old 03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
92FOX
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Push Button Start - Wiring.

bump! please help.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

im just curious why you want to do it.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
92FOX
1st Gear Member

i did not want to see that reply! i really didn't ...

But what ever. my neutral safety switch is ****ed i dont want to jack the car and get under and fix it .
So i want to just put a push start button it will by pass the starting issue with the neutral safety switch,

So can any one help me? please ... im sitting here like a dumbass waiting for reply's!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

well, i cant condone any rigging like that, because it isnt the proper way to fix the problem at hand.
I am sure a new switch is cheap, learn from others mistakes and fix it the right way one time rather than making a band-aid.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

FIRST: Get yourself a push button

SECOND: Get a hot wire from a key power*one you have juice in when key is on and not when it is off*

THIRD: Put that wire to one side of the switch

FOURTH: Run a wire from your exciter post *the one with the wire hanging off of it on your silenoid* To said push button

FIFTH: Turn key on and Hit the Button.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Neutral safety switches are not that cheap for what you get...

WhatI did was get some heavy speaker wire.I think it was 8 gauge.

Ran positive side to battery then to switch.

Then ran negative side from other end of switch to the small terminal on starter solenoid.

Things to consider when getting switch/button:
[blockquote]
Will it handle 12 volts
Make sure button is open in neutral position and then closed when pushed[/blockquote]
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

I put a push button start on a '68 Torino GT 428 that I had. The neutral/park start switch was really tough to adjust on that car. Had to reach over the column and pull up on the shift lever to get it to start. Wire from keyed hot to the switch, then other side of the switch to the solenoid post. Just like others have posted.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
92FOX
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you know what your talking about, im still little confused on part 2, Laimens terms please lol...

Ok from what im gathering, Iam soposed to get the button, Wire one side to the key part and the other side to the Fender Selenoid.?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92FOX

Sounds like you know what your talking about, im still little confused on part 2, Laimens terms please lol...

Ok from what im gathering, Iam soposed to get the button, Wire one side to the key part and the other side to the Fender Selenoid.?
Yeah, you have to get a button. And some wire. Make sure it's the kind of switch that is closed (completing the circuit) when it's pushed. LIke a doorbell button works, but don't try to use a doorbell button. Hook one end of a piece of wire to a 12Volt source that is hot (has electricity to it) only when the key is on. Hook the other end of that wire to one side of your button. Hook another piece of wire to the post on the solenoid that energizes it. It's the little post on the side of the solenoid between the two posts that have the battery cables on then. Hook the other end of that wire to the other side of your button. This should get you a push button start. Be careful because if you are in gear with the key on and push the button, the car will lurch forward. I don't recommend doing this mod. YOu are better off to fix your car properly. Don't blame me if you crash your car into something because you tried to start it while it was in gear.

Quick Reply: Push Button Start - Wiring.