5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default here we go again

yet another issue.
it only starts this when it gets around 150 degrees, i havent been past 180deg. w/ it yet.
i can hear it inside the car at idle, but at 1,500rpms i cant hear it.
its a weird click, pop, crackle sound, not quite an eletrical pop, the video does make the sound a tad different. the upper rad hose pulses when it clicks, is that the t-stat doing something stupid?
its a new t stat and water pump...

and some of you know that i assembled my bottom end last time...didnt check all my clearances like i should have, (very very stupid of me!) and by crank and bearings went bye bye.
i got a machine shop to build the short block, new crank, bearings, balance, the whole 9 yards again. well after 50 miles i do the oil change, i found 1 piece thats too big for my liking of a metal strip...i hope this is not another disaster story! i dont have another 2k to drop on a damn short block, and yes i have spent that same amount twice on a freakin stock block, looking back that was a very dumb decision...live and learn i guess.

anyways if anyone has an idea of what the clicking might be, i would be grateful to hear it.

video:
pictures:

Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: here we go again

Have you checked your pullies to see if any are loose or cracked? Does the shaft to the water pump have any play in it?

And what happened with the other engine, and are you saying the NEW rebuild has metal in it?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

its not the tensioner, i replaced that already. none are cracked and there isnt alot of slack side to side. im not sure about the water pump, i will have to look. looking for side to side, or in and out play?

yes the new rebuilt engine had that metal strip in it, i know its fuzzy, but its bout 1/2 long and its metal. i saw this last time, but there was more of them and the oil looked like a whole bottle of gold glitter got dumped in there. i didnt have that, but that sliver worries me alot.

the upper hose has a pulse when that clicking sound is made, maby is the water pump or t-stat, they are both new so that would suck lol
Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Are you sure it is not the cap and rotor?, kinda sounds like an electrical "spark" to me. or the coil or maybe a bad plug wire or one got melted on a header? just some ideas
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

nope, new dizzy, cap, rotor and wires.
it only does it when the car is starting to get warm, im thinking the t-stat is the problem.
nope none are melted. not eletrical. i thought at first the dizzy was the problem b/c the sound is coming from the top end near the dizzy, well whats right next to the dizzy and what does the hose that pulses that makes the sound is connected to...thats by the dizzy lol
ill get a new t-stat and see what happens.