5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Who here has

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
onefast2002ss
1st Gear Member

Default Who here has

How many of you really have a cat on your car? I see in alot of posts people saying install a cat back. For The ones out ther who still have them on here is a couple of questions. 1 Does your state have emissions testing? 2 Is your car efi? 3 Why havent you removed them yet they just rob you of horsepower mustangs dont have to spare? I know if you live in PA i guess the car gets looked over and inspected{I dont live there a friend of mine is from PA}. If that is your case just bash out the honeycomb in the cat. What states actually inspect and test cars?????
Old 04-20-2005, 01:12 AM
wafrodon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Who here has

1. Emissions what? 2. Yes 3. N/A 4. damnit no #4

I run a prochamber and NE doesn’t have testing but I’ve heard of people getting pulled over and the cop looking...WTF. I figure if a cop decides to be a ***** then I could convince him that the chamber was a cat (dayum they are so dum!). As for which states test I have no clue because those states are hella ghey.

\/ \/ \/ he is right they really dont change much in hp except like he explained. This is talking about the high flow cats though. The 6 stock cats on my 95 are quite restrictive. In my case I got an O/R pipe just because there was no reason to pay the extra for them. But if you have no other choice 'hi-flo' are just fine.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Cats do not rob your engine of power.

A catback and cats are 2 different things. Cats are on the midpipe where as catback is after cat exhaust which includes mufflers. You can run straight pipes on your catback and probly still pass emissions, its the midpipe that determines if you will pass or not.

I run high flow cats on my car.

Everyone is under this misconception that a no cats setup is better in all cases. Yes on a heavily modified motor, cats will act as a restriction. On a bolt on/near stock 5.0 motor, the cats create backpressure that is needed for the engine to produce low end torque. Even so the difference is not much. With no cats you lose low end and gain some top end, not a lot though. Exhaust really isnt the place to worry about horsepower.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:37 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Cats are a restrictive item in the exhaust when they get to hot they will hurt performance by having the ceramic melt and clog up.

I live in PA. my truck still has the 2 factory cats on it. you can hollow it out but youll need the SIMs. they now just plug a tool into the port and see if **** is off. that is how they do emissions now. also you need to pass visual
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 AM
fats429
2nd Gear Member

1 ) yes my state, well mostly my city has very tuff smog laws

2) my car was EFI but took it off cause it's *** and is very heavy

3) I did remove them they suck *** more than all the EFI junk some knuckle head at the ford factory put all over my stang puppy

I live in PA and philly wants to be like CA with the smog laws but you can drive around with fake stickers the cops dont care . they got murder durgs and all kinds of other stuff to do so I am cool
Old 04-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Kyle83

psssssh in my city in canada they dont really check so i dont have my cat on
Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

my cats are hanging from the rafters in my garage. damn california and its stupid laws. ive heard its a rediculous fine for not having them on. i got pulled over for speeding and the cop just wrote the ticket and left. at low revs its not that loud. i cant punch my honey comb out cause i need my cats in working order in about 6-8 months when smog rolls around
Old 04-20-2005, 05:16 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Cats are dumb... in Canada we dont have to pass nada, well if we have to it would be out of generousity or in BC. Every vehicle I own does not have cats on it. They are a waste of metal unless ya drive a ricer
Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

canada is good for that, I think the horsepower limit for the street here is 520.
I've seen 10 second cars that are driven on the street.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

no cats cause i don't need them. no inspection and no smog testing. yah for south carolina!!