5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need an electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need an electric fan

[sm=sigh.gif] You are SOO not fun...

Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Yes I had a couple that I gave out.Most dealers throw them in the dumpster or make a pile next to it.Most of the time you can walk up and grab one or two and they won't say a word.

The person selling them on E-bay either works at a Volvo dealer or Knows someone that does.Or just went and took some from the dumpster.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:08 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

ORIGINAL: Demon_Mustang

It's a secret.

ROFL...

5 finger discount on my neighbors volvo? [&:]
LOL 5 finger discount is cool! but right from ur neighbors volvo?! LOL!! what if he was ever looking at ur engine wouldnt he kind of clue in... volvo fan.. his volvo fan was stolen..
Old 04-25-2005, 11:52 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...?part=MRG-1988
so this fan would be ok you say?? i thought the fan needed a larger shroud on top so that the air was directed better instead of going all over the place. my factory 87 fan has no shroud on it, and the air just goes everywhere lol. anyway, this summit fan doesn't seem to have a large enough shroud? i don't know fans tho. comments on this??
Old 04-25-2005, 02:11 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i wouldnt pay $80 for that fan. especially when everyone here is saying to by that volvo fan on ebay for 1/3 the price but thats my opinion
Old 04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ok, i didn't find that volvo fan on ebay. i didn't use The Force to look for it, but still. i'm plannin on just buying this fan and knowing what i've got. http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...?part=MRG-1988
where can i get the electronics i need to run the fan?? i think i need a relay and some kinda wiring harness? i've also heard of people putting a light in series so that i can see when the fan's on. where can i get all this other hardware??
Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ttt :P
Old 04-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Well, ohsoquik claimed that fan is a good deal, and honestly, the only way it is a good deal is if it includes everything, including what you're asking for. It should include the relay, thermostat, and everything else required to run the fan.

About a light to tell you if it's on, I need that to, but it's not too hard. Just get a pilot light, and hook it up to the positive wire going into the fan. Make sure this is hooked up POST fuse-holder so you'll know for sure the positive reading is for the fan itself. You can mount this light somewhere where you can see it.

Anyway, about the shroud, you don't need to worry about where the air is going, just where it's coming from. So you don't really need a shroud to direct the air at the engine, that's not how the cooling works, the fan is really there to PULL air through the radiator, which cools the coolant which runs through the enging block. The only reason why fans usually have a big shroud is for safety reasons, so you don't accidentally bump your elbow on a blade or something falling down would not likely fall into the blades.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:08 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

oh cool. well the summit fan doesn't say that it comes with all the electronics. i'll call them tomorrow and ask them for sure. thanks demon :P btw, i'll be installing my own LED in the circuit when i get the fan, so i'll let you know how it goes bud :P
-kyle
Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ttt x2!!

Quick Reply: need an electric fan