5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

331, Twisted Wedge Combo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default 331, Twisted Wedge Combo Questions

2 questions. I'm contemplating a 331 build, and question 1 is, will I need special pistons for my TW heads?, I'd like the comp ratio to be 9.5 - 10.1, so I don't know if the pistons supplied in the scat and/or eagle kits will work with my heads?. 2nd question, I'm assuming the block needs to be clearanced similar to a 347 build?. For those that may ask why 331 vs 347, it's because I already have a custom CI Cam with matching springs, and I don't want to port the TW heads at this time. The cam and heads I have will not support a 347 to it's full potential, and I don't have the funds to upgrade.
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Yes you need pistions with the raised valve relief for the intake valve,And the bottom of the bore will need to be clearenced on a stock block.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

What kit are you looking at? Secondly you may or may not need a trick flow valve relief. If you are using a scat I beam rod you will not have to clearance the block, the 347 with a scat I beam needs VERY little clearancing.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
What kit are you looking at? Secondly you may or may not need a trick flow valve relief. If you are using a scat I beam rod you will not have to clearance the block, the 347 with a scat I beam needs VERY little clearancing.

???????? Im confused...And unless you plan on running a e cam "LMFAO" I would recommend the TW valve reliefs..Hell it would be stupid to build a motor from nothing with trickflow heads and not buy trickflow specific pistions.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cammedlx
???????? Im confused...And unless you plan on running a e cam "LMFAO" I would recommend the TW valve reliefs..Hell it would be stupid to build a motor from nothing with trickflow heads and not buy trickflow specific pistions.
You dont know what your talking about, E cam . I can tell your very confused. The only specific about them is the intake valve relief.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Um look in post number 2....You people are a little quick to jump the gun..And i was just using the e cam as a example of a cam that you would not have PTV clearence issues with the TW'S and stock style valve reliefs.And to tell you the truth i don't think im the only one confused!Hell read your post number 3 "If you are using a scat I beam rod you will not have to clearance the block, the 347 with a scat I beam needs VERY little clearancing."That's what i was confused about..Was you comparing a 302 to a 331- 347 because im pretty sure the thread is about a 331-347.That's all, no reason to be a dick and act like that.Hell im a CERTIFIED mechanic,i work 50hrs a week in a shop and work on it all so that's all im saying.

Last edited by cammedlx; 11-30-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cammedlx
Um look in post number 2....You people are a little quick to jump the gun..And i was just using the e cam as a example of a cam that you would not have PTV clearence issues with the TW'S and stock style valve reliefs.And to tell you the truth i don't think im the only one confused!Hell read your post number 3 "If you are using a scat I beam rod you will not have to clearance the block, the 347 with a scat I beam needs VERY little clearancing."That's what i was confused about..Was you comparing a 302 to a 331- 347 because im pretty sure the thread is about a 331-347.That's all, no reason to be a dick and act like that.Hell im a CERTIFIED mechanic,i work 50hrs a week in a shop and work on it all so that's all im saying.
dude watch who your talking to. WOODY OWNS FORD STROKERS. he has probably built more motors then you have probably seen
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

If you are using a scat I beam in a stock block with a 3.250 it clears the bottom of the skirts by miles, I build these weekly. The 347 using a scat I beam in a stock block needs very little clearancing at the bottom of the skirts.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

See here we go...Im not trying to be a *** about it but hell he was the first one with the low blows...And i doubt he's built more then i've seen unless he's 60.I don't know him and he don't know me so i think its best left at that.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
If you are using a scat I beam in a stock block with a 3.250 it clears the bottom of the skirts by miles, I build these weekly. The 347 using a scat I beam in a stock block needs very little clearancing at the bottom of the skirts.
See this is where i got confused...I never questioned your knowledge because i don't know you but i did'nt get the same respect from you..Thanks for clearing up your post hopefully i did the same but who knows.

Quick Reply: 331, Twisted Wedge Combo Questions