5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
89mustanggt5.0

Thumbs down i need help!!!!

trying to see if anybody has had this problem before.

pulled into work. and the car died on me. just out of nowhere. when i started it back up it ran really rough. surging at idle and breaking up, with what it smelt like gas smoke. i got it back to the house and started messing with it and still cant figure this problem out. fuel pressue is good, and ive changed the fuel filter.but i dont think it is a gas problem since i tried to drive it to get diagnostics ran and it died again. shot eaither in it and still didnt start. got it back tho the house. thinking somthing ignition wise. when i pull coil wire off cap. the car will start right up and rev. with just a little breakup but when i push wire back on it. it will backfire. putter and die. ive done. coil, cap, rotor, distrubutor, moduel, plugs, wires, brand new ignition swith about 5 months old.ive called delk performace in nashville tn. and they said check grounds. and dynospeed, didnt know what to do(stated first time they've heard of this)

anybody experienced this same problem or got any ideas on what i could do besied checking all my engine grounds?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
89mustanggt5.0

Bump plz
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The way it runs when you back the coil wire off the cap it sounds like a bad cap or rotor. I see where you said you replaced it but grab an old cap and rotor and slide it on. Ive seen some cheap caps go south in a hurry.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

Same thing happened to my 65 mustang and it burned up 3 Pertronix ingnitions. It ended up being the ground that was on the firewall came loose. I moved thr ground to the passenger side head. They were still cast iron.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

there is a ground on the core support just about each head light... check to see if they are tight.. very common problem with mustangs.....