5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

intermittent shut off

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
kylem
1st Gear Member

Default intermittent shut off

My 93 gt will shut off on me driving down the road. If i do not pull the key out of the igniton and try to start it again, the car will shut off on me in 5 seconds, but if i pull the key out the ignition the car will run fine for another 10 minutes and then it will shut off again. The car isnt throwing any codes and im clueless. The car used to have an aftermarket alarm system, but i pulled all that crap out and soldered and heatshrinked all the wires that they quickspliced. This car didnt start acting up until after i had to replace the waterpump and timing chain cover, and when i got done with all that i degreased the engine bay with some engine gunk, and then washed it off with water, and im thinking maybe some water screwed something up somewhere but i cant figure it out. anyone have any problems like this or know what it could be doing this. thanks in advance.

kylem
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

if you let it sit and idle for 10 mins does it have the same problem? or is it only when its under load?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

check under the dizy cap for moisture and wipe it out just in case.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

I was gonna say that but wouldnt that cause a miss all the time? it wouldnt happen just after 10 mins? dont mean to thread jack, just wondering
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM
kylem
1st Gear Member

i will do it at idle atfer 10 min. and i pulled the cap and there wasnt any moisture.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
kylem
1st Gear Member

and another thing that i should note: when cranking the car, if you hold the key in the crank position the car wont start until you let off and the key switches to the run position.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

That last problem sounds like the starter solenoid. When was the last time you put a new one in? It could also be your Ignition cylinder. I would check those 2 things next. Before you replace your starter solenoid check the ground on it. Also check your batteries ground. Take the cable off and clean the connection and all that good stuff, it could possibly just be corrosion/rust at your connections, clean them up and see how it runs.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
kylem
1st Gear Member

all the connections are tight, no corosion anywhere, and i havent replaced anything on it yet, being as i just got this car like 2 months ago. i hooked a test light up to the starter soleniod and its not getting any power until the key is released into the run position. i work at a dodge dealership and i had one of the technicians take a look at it with me and he thinks it may be the magnetic pickup in the distributor. a buddy of mine is gonna let me borrow a distributor for a tester. is there anyway it could be the ignition switch? i had an extra ignition module and i tried that on the distributor that is on the car and it is still having the same problems. the weird thing is that i dont have any check engine lights.. im stumped.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

honestly it sounds like your ignition cylinder. I dont think the dizzy will cause the problem with starting problem. I would try replacing your ignition cylinder and you should resolve the stat problem. With the car shutting off, the dizzy might be the problem. Give it a try, if it doesnt die out then replace, obviously. But the start problem should be solved by a ignition cylinder.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
kylem
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the help, ill give it a shot. will an ignition cylinder from a 89 lx 4 cylinder car work in my 93 gt?

Quick Reply: intermittent shut off