5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anyone out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
jiminEcricket

Default anyone out there?

o.k. i installed MAC caster/camber plates on my lowered 93 gt. i went to align the vehicle, but could not get the set-up into the factory specs on the alignment machine. so thinking that my experience with the occasional alignment may not be as good as a dedicated alignment shop (i work at a toyota dealership) i took the car to a local shop with many years of alignment experience. they told they also could not get the specs any better as the strut rod and/or caster/camber plat setup was hitting the limits of the hole in the strut tower. they suggested grinding the hole open further to give some more adjustment. now ,this makes sense, BUT 1.is this a problem specific to the MAC brand caster/camber plates 2. will another brand do away with this needed grinding as i do not want to grind if i don't have to , 3. what have any of you experienced when installed what brands of plates? even when i installed the plates , i had to cut the rubber bushing in half at the very top of the strut to get the retaining nut on, i could be wrong but the MAC kit just does not seem very well designed to me. any thoughts? note: i know with the car being lowered ,factory specs are not really optimal alignment specs, but it was my starting point.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

post up some pics.... its very common to install CC plated incorrectly
Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

+1 to install wrong.

also what part of the allignment can they not get into spec?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I think we need to see a pic as stated ^^^...I'd want to neg as much + caster as possible! ...camber the problem? I've only used Maximum Motorsport CC plates (no problems!)
Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If installed correctly you should be able to go way past factory spec on caster or camber
Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what specs were out???? caster??? camber???, I would be concerned with more so camber and toe, as long as you can get caster within a .5 degree difference from side to side your fine making it so there is less caster on the left vs right
Old 03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
jiminEcricket

this kit is actually installed on my dads car, so i'll have to check the installation, even though i put it in exactly as the instructions. my main ? at this point is -has anyone installed MAC plates and did they work correctly for you? it seems like a lot of manufacturers use slightly different configurations or designs for their kits. if need be ,he has said he will purchase a "better" set from a different manufacturer. and as far as the install goes.... i am an a.s.e master tech with 15 years in the business (not that everyone ,including myself can't make a mistake now &then) thanks, i will double check . it also seems to be mostly caster on the drivers side we can't get in, the slots have plenty of room ,but the strut just won't go any farther. thanks

Last edited by jiminEcricket; 03-14-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling