5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

very happy with shift kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default very happy with shift kit!

Hey guys, I drained half of a quart of tranny fluid, so I check it and it is perfect. Start it up, run it and at first it was acting like it was before (it used to take FOREVER to shift and sometimes it wouldn't shift), so I get to the top of our road, flip a bitch, and get going again and it was like magic, it started shifting and it went all they way into OD!!! I was soo happy. But for the review, overall I'd give the Transgo shift kit a, B-. The harder shifts are VERY noticable when you are just cruising along and when you hit WOT I can now spin them in second, whereas it wouldn't do that before (I live on dirt roads). I have yet to go cruisin on the black top yet but i'm hoping that I can chirp second now. I'll let you guys know. If anyone else wants to leave their review on these shift kits please do.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: very happy with shift kit!

glad you like your new shift kit
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
pacepony
2nd Gear Member

i installed one in mine and it will chirp second with the stock 273 gears
Old 06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

im asssuming you dislike the race springs that are in that kit. for me i didnt care. i put them in cause my car isnt a DD. it was a toy and still is.

now you need my stall
Old 06-21-2005, 03:30 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Hey ohsoquick02, I wouldn't have that shift kit any other way! It's awesome and I love it! It's just wierd how half a quart of oil on the "too much" side can mess with **** like that. But no I love those full race springs that you put in there, it just saved me time from doing it myself . I have an update though, I finally got to go cruisin on the black top today, and it's friggin sweet! I hit the turn from where it turns from dirt to pavement and gave it about 1/4 throttle and it climbed slowly up to 3000 r's and man I wasn't expecting a shift like that. The shift from 1st to 2nd hit me like a bullet in the chest, I wasn't expecting that hard (it's a good thing) of a shift and how much quicker that shift is. So I got really excited (mind you guys, my mom was in the car) I told her I need to "test" out this new shift kit to make sure... umm... everything was right so I slowed down to about 30, punched it, it kicked down a gear and off I went and man, I see what you guys mean now by, unless someone is speedshifting you can't get a better/quicker shift than a auto with a shift kit. Also after everything was warmed up and I was on my way home, I found something that was kinda cool, if I slow down enough for the 1st to 2nd shift on the dirt and im just cruisin along it'll spin the tires a bit when i'm just cruisin. I'm sorry about the long update but I'm just damn happy that on my first mod, well atliest on my 'stang, that I got it done the first time correctly, and it actually worked!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well im glad you love it. told ya you would.......now buy my stall, make your car alot more funner
Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

i agree a stall makes a huge difference in you autos. i really dont like autos i like being able to peel second from factory, but if built right autos are nice.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

so you like peeling a banana or a orange?

my old setup stock could easily spin second gear with no problem

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

i agree a stall makes a huge difference in you autos. i really dont like autos i like being able to peel second from factory, but if built right autos are nice.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

A built auto can shift a lot quicker and can be a lot better than a stick (with the exception of the small power loss of an automatic compared to a stick). Auto is the way to go...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:22 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

for straight line racing.

Quick Reply: very happy with shift kit!