5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Drive shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Default Drive shaft removal

I'm almost about to pull out my tranny for clutch replacement, but i've got a question. I can't spin the driveshaft by hand. Is this because it's connected to the differential in the back? (I have the back wheels on the ground, and I am trying to spin the drive shaft so I can get to the bolts better). Also, if I leave it on the ground, and remove the drive shaft, will the car be 'free moving', and have the potential to roll backwards off the car ramps they are on? I'm worried about being under it and removing the drive shaft and than the car rolling off the ramps and onto me. I have the wheels blocked up right now, but if I have to get the back wheels off the ground so I can spin the drive shaft I may be in trouble. I don't have access to a lift.

By the way, the shifter is in 'neutral' right now.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

The driveshaft won't spin if it is connected to rear diff and tires are on ground. Using Jack stands is essential to doing this safely, lift the entire back end chock the front wheels and lift away.

Make sure parking brake is off as well.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

oh... and marking everything is esseential to not having vibration after everythign is assembled. especially if you are going to swap U-joints. mark output shaft to Driveshaft, driveshaft to rear dif flange and rear dif flange to rear dif.

sorry for abbrevs.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Use wheel chalks and the car won't move...

Make sure it's in neutral.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

cant use chocks. The front tires are already on the ramps. I need them to stay up there so that I can get to the tranny. If I start jacking the back end up while the fronts are on the ramps, im afraid that the car is going to start rolling backwards off the ramps. Any ideas for this?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

you should just pay someone to do it since you cant even get the driveshaft out.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

No thanks, i'm not giving somebody 600 dollars for a job as simple as taking out the clutch. Yes, I am having problems, doesn't mean i'm incapable of doing it.

Don't come on here thinking when you first started, you didn't have any questions. This is a site for enthusiasts and owners to get resources for their mustangs, that's exactly what i'm doing. Now if that offends you in any way, i'm sorry, but you don't have to read the post. You can always skip over it and let the people who intend to help do their job.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tohoopty
you should just pay someone to do it since you cant even get the driveshaft out.

Seriously, this is good advice, not only for your car but for your own saftey.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattkoly
oh... and marking everything is esseential to not having vibration after everythign is assembled. especially if you are going to swap U-joints. mark output shaft to Driveshaft, driveshaft to rear dif flange and rear dif flange to rear dif.

sorry for abbrevs.

yeah, i'm leaving the u-joints in place. Removing it at differential and at the tranny. I marked two spots on the diff. with a paint marker just to make sure it went back together correctly. Going to mark the tranny and drive shaft at the front tomorrow when I work on it again, since I forgot to mark that one. Thanks for reminding me. *Adds to list of notes*
Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Seriously, this is good advice, not only for your car but for your own saftey.
JFsram. This isnt the first transmission/engine i've taken out. It just so happens to be the first one for this car i've taken out. I'm well aware of the safety, why do you think I am not jacking the back end up on it without removing the ramps in the front ?

Quick Reply: Drive shaft removal