5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How difficult is a 5 lug conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

Default How difficult is a 5 lug conversion?

Hi, I was browsing on the net and saw a set of used 17" rims off of a 91 Cobra, and they had new tires on them. The asking price was $600 obo. I need to replace tires on my car and after mounting, balancing, alignment, blah, blah, blah, I'm looking at $600 for tires alone. So that made me think about whether I could do a 5 lug conversion. Is there a kit? If so, how much is it? I don't know what is involved as far as hardware. I also don't know what tools I'd need. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

If I could get some 4 lug Cobra R's (or good looking repros) with new tires for around $700, that would be just as good. So far the investigating I've done on that is based on the links from this site, and a few others not listed here. For a set shipped to me here in Massachusetts I'm looking at $1000 - $1100. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

axles, drums and rotors need to be swapped
Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

americanmuscle.com sells a kit i cant remember the price but you can go to a junk yard and get the parts you need from a 94 to 98 mustang and the rear set up from a late
90's ranger
Old 09-03-2009, 02:36 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you need to figure out which way you wanna convert it, doing a rotor swap or swapping spindles to 94+ ones
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

It depends, I'm in the middle of doing a Cobra brake swap, which is a bit more complicated(Had to go off to grad school and had to put the project on hold, big weight hanging over my head). It can be as simple as swapping axles, drums and front disks. If you decently competent with your car and tools then it should be right up your alley.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

It seems like six of one and half dozen of the other at this point. Besides a difference in choice of wheels and sizes, what are the benefits of changing to a 5 lug setup? When I owned a 95 Thunderbird it seemed like the only way you were going to get custom wheels was to do a swap, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the case here.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

I just looked at my post which said I wanted to do a 5 lug conversion because I'd found 91 Cobra rims. Wrong! They're 2001 Cobra rims. Now what? Is it still possible? It looks like the front end might be more than just a rotor swap, right?

I have a source for the Ranger rear end. It's the type of salvage yard where I'll be going back to pull the parts myself. They're all ready to sell me the entire rear end, but I'd rather not have to take a rear end out of there if I can just grab the axles and drums. I need to know how many splines on the axle my car has? I think I read that it's either 28 or 31, but I need to know what I have.

Thanks again for your help.

Mattie
Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you need 2 left side ranger axles.. and the car has 28spline axles
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
sixtyninestang
1st Gear Member

I'm curious as to why they have to be from the left side? Are the Ranger axles an unequal length? By the way, what kind of rims are on your car? They look exactly like the ones I'm considering purchasing. Did you do the swap yourself? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixtyninestang
I'm curious as to why they have to be from the left side? Are the Ranger axles an unequal length? By the way, what kind of rims are on your car? They look exactly like the ones I'm considering purchasing. Did you do the swap yourself? Thanks for the info.
correct they have an offset differential, my car used to have 03 cobra wheels on it, now they just sit in the garage as I have big n littles. I did do the swap my self using 94-95 brakes on the front a 5 lug axles n drums on the back

Quick Reply: How difficult is a 5 lug conversion?