5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t5 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default t5 help

to make a long story short i took apart the trans to replace the speedo gear. i didn't seal the trans correctly, pulled it again., had trouble putting the tailshaft on (5th gear slider locked) but didn't know it at the time. So i took it up to Sears where i work and some techs couldn't really fig it out(typical). They ended up taking the lid off and broke the slider/rod loose.. Then they couldn't fig out how the keys on the lid lined up and i got frustrated cuz i wans't watching them and if i had i would have looked at it as it came off. I ended up taking it home and fig it out through some help and a T5 rebuilding manual and go it back together.

i put it back in the car and it wouldn't go in all the gears, even when the car was off, so i was told it was something wrong inside the trans, so i took it out and apart again.

After i rtv'd it and with the trans outside the vehicle it shifted fine and had no trouble going into each gear.

i put it in and now it has trouble going into reverse mainly but 1st doesn't go in all the time without a lot of muscle pushing it. 1st, 2nd and 3rd go in with two clunks, 4th and 5th slide in easily and reverse will go in every fifth try.

anybody have any ideas, please share.

thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Something is not together right still, you need a qualified trans tech to look at it, to bad your not closer to me........SEARS...LOL i WOULDN'T LET THEM change my oil
Old 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
Something is not together right still, you need a qualified trans tech to look at it, to bad your not closer to me........SEARS...LOL i WOULDN'T LET THEM change my oil
lol. yeah, i know, but for a broke college kid, averaging 15 bucks an hour after taxes ain't bad.

i'm gonna test drive it and we'll see.

there is a guy that does good work called tranny man jeff, lol. i think i might take it to him. since it was working fine, i highly doubt it needs and major work. how much do you think this thing will cost me to diagnose and fix. i'm hoping under 150 dollars
Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

maybe i was paranoid, cuz i drove it and it shifted fine. Well i only got to the end of the block bc the front left fender was rubbing the tire. i'm gonna take it to a frame shop next week to see if i can't get it bent out.

i need to hurry cuz i bought a 93 4cyl with a t5 for 500 bucks and then just scored a wrecked 91 ssp car an a 91 gt for 950 bucks. so the swap will begin in two weeks. wish me luck
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

idk if you have it, but this may help you figure out if you messed anything up

http://ttcautomotive.com/English/med...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

do you have a factory shifter? I know the aftermarket shifters have stops on them so you can shorten the throw. Just from taking the cover off and moving the shafts slightly, you may have to readjust those stops to lets the trans get into all the gears. I know this because I bought a hurst short throw and it is definitely not a short throw. If i move the adjusters at all I cannot get it into the associated gears, so i just have a shiny stick and a cue ball.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

broke ?? and you just scored 2 mustangs 1 for 500 and another for 950 and you hope your tranny repair won't cost more than 150 to repair?? priorities man ...priorities..lol....tranny man jeff seems like a winner!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
idk if you have it, but this may help you figure out if you messed anything up

http://ttcautomotive.com/English/med...ice_Manual.pdf
yeah, thats the manual i have. thanks though

Originally Posted by 91ford302
do you have a factory shifter? I know the aftermarket shifters have stops on them so you can shorten the throw. Just from taking the cover off and moving the shafts slightly, you may have to readjust those stops to lets the trans get into all the gears. I know this because I bought a hurst short throw and it is definitely not a short throw. If i move the adjusters at all I cannot get it into the associated gears, so i just have a shiny stick and a cue ball.
yeah, i have a short throw

Originally Posted by mjr46
broke ?? and you just scored 2 mustangs 1 for 500 and two others for 950 and you hope your tranny repair won't cost more than 150 to repair?? priorities man ...priorities..lol....tranny man jeff seems like a winner!!
fixed it for you.

lol. thats why i'm broke, cuz i just bought the three cars. yeah, i laugh about jeff's nickname all the time. I think i would say transmission man jeff if anything.

thanks for the help.

hopefully everything goes smoothly on the 4cy to 5.0 swap.