5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Porting and Polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
araj

Default Porting and Polishing question

So i have my engine apart and i want a few more ponies. So i was wondering if anyone has had their heads ported and polished? Right about how much did it cost? Was there a noticable difference? Also i have GT40 heads on my cammed 5.0 right now. Topped off with a torker II intake and a holley 1850s, it just seems to not really grip and rip as much as i want. Thanks for your help.
Also i am planning to convert it to a 331 or 347 stroker within the next 5 or so years, would p&p the heads have an impact on that?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by araj
So i have my engine apart and i want a few more ponies. So i was wondering if anyone has had their heads ported and polished? Right about how much did it cost? Was there a noticable difference? Also i have GT40 heads on my cammed 5.0 right now. Topped off with a torker II intake and a holley 1850s, it just seems to not really grip and rip as much as i want. Thanks for your help.
Also i am planning to convert it to a 331 or 347 stroker within the next 5 or so years, would p&p the heads have an impact on that?
that's because your intake choice sucks and most likely cam is mismatched
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
araj

Originally Posted by mjr46
that's because your intake choice sucks and most likely cam is mismatched
the cam is not mismatched, i spoke to a comp cams tech and he specifically advised to use the cam that is in the motor. Also i chose the torker II because almost everyone i had spoken to had said for MY application it would be best. I dont go into your threads and down play your ride so i only ask the same. Please keep the rest of the replies on the constructive side with the topic of P&P in mind.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by araj
the cam is not mismatched, i spoke to a comp cams tech and he specifically advised to use the cam that is in the motor. Also i chose the torker II because almost everyone i had spoken to had said for MY application it would be best. I dont go into your threads and down play your ride so i only ask the same. Please keep the rest of the replies on the constructive side with the topic of P&P in mind.
Maybe you OUGHT to stop putting such blind trust in those comp cams so called techies!! If you want a real cam expert go talk to Camshaft innovations Jay Allen or Flowtech Inductions, Ed Curtis and see if they don't concure with my analysis?? Your H/C/I is SNAFU......... but it appears you're only hear for Affirmation AND NOT the truth, of course you don't want to hear you wasted money , I've been there done that and had disappointing results many times, but I quit worrying finally about getting butthurt over **** poor combo choices and took the advice from one of the afore mentioned experts, which is why you can't down play my rides......but however, if my advice is not constructive , it's because you turn a deaf ear to the truth......so be it, stay slow....Your car, your money, your perogative..........AND NO P&P gt-40 heads should never be found on a stroker, unless of course your happy with a 13 sec stroker.........for that matter of fact, none of your current H/C/I should ever grace the likes of a stroker, a 185-195 cc head min for a S/S stroker.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Nice job removing my post, proves my point.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by goathead75
Nice job removing my post, proves my point.
stick to the topic at hand if you have a personal issue with me use the pm function, one more off topic remark and infraction will result and FYI YOU have no point just thin skin if you can't see the constructive advice I gave.

Last edited by mjr46; 12-09-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
araj

wow guys i was looking for help, but none can be found here. I have also talked to ford racing techs as well as my uncle who does nothing but build drag cars and he runs a speed shop. I was trying to build this car without his help, Mr 46 try not to be so hostile next time please.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

stick to the topic at hand if you have a personal issue with me use the pm function, one more off topic remark and infraction will result and FYI YOU have no point just thin skin if you can't see the constructive advice I gave.
Ok, sticking to the topic, now which of these questions did you answer for the OP before crapping on his setup? Exactly, so...to the point...

1. So i was wondering if anyone has had their heads ported and polished? **Generally shops will charge by the hour for port work depending on how extensive the porting is. You could go from some mild port/bowl cleaning to fully hogged out. For the price you would likely spend in getting a good port job, you could pick up a better set of heads.**

2. Right about how much did it cost? Was there a noticable difference? **Again, cost will vary, but $400+ is easy. You'll definitely notice a difference in how it revs and how smooth the power comes on. Tough to describe, but yes...a noticable difference.**

3. Also i am planning to convert it to a 331 or 347 stroker within the next 5 or so years, would p&p the heads have an impact on that? **P&P heads would have an effect because the porting will have an effect on the airflow and the amount of air going through the engine.**

Also i have GT40 heads on my cammed 5.0 right now. Topped off with a torker II intake and a holley 1850s, it just seems to not really grip and rip as much as i want. Thanks for your help.

Can you provide the specs for the cam that you have? Also, what are your goals for the car? Daily driver, weekend driver, strip car, autocross? All that plays into it as well as what your budget is. I do agree with mjr that you want to plan it out ahead and not necessarily work with what you have.

mjr, you've got a pm.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What gears and trans are you running?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

Maybe you OUGHT to stop putting such blind trust in those comp cams so called techies!! If you want a real cam expert go talk to Camshaft innovations Jay Allen or Flowtech Inductions, Ed Curtis and see if they don't concure with my analysis?? Your H/C/I is SNAFU......... but it appears you're only hear for Affirmation AND NOT the truth, of course you don't want to hear you wasted money , I've been there done that and had disappointing results many times, but I quit worrying finally about getting butthurt over **** poor combo choices and took the advice from one of the afore mentioned experts, which is why you can't down play my rides......but however, if my advice is not constructive , it's because you turn a deaf ear to the truth......so be it, stay slow....Your car, your money, your perogative..........AND NO P&P gt-40 heads should never be found on a stroker, unless of course your happy with a 13 sec stroker.........for that matter of fact, none of your current H/C/I should ever grace the likes of a stroker, a 185-195 cc head min for a S/S stroker.
This is the absolute Truth I know because I was told the same thing many of times and we'll just say same scenerio but Mr. 46 is being honest and I know from personel example of what he's saying is true...

Quick Reply: Porting and Polishing question