5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
SJPajak
1st Gear Member

Default Starting Problem

So for the past couple of months, i have had a problem starting my car(91 gt) up after I drive it for awhile. it just turns over slow and after awhile it just doesnt start. i recently changed the fender mount soleniod to see if that was the problem and that created more problems. as soon as i changed it, i started the car up and it was making a grinding noise so i cut it off and the car was turning over all by it self. so i put the old soleniod back in and now every time i start the car, the battery is drained and i need a jump right away. i have had the starter, alternator and the battery tested and all are normal. can some help or give me insight. thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

how was the battery tested??? also check for voltage drop on the battery cables and starter cable and make sure starter is securely bolted to bellhousing
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
SJPajak
1st Gear Member

its actually a brand new battery, and it was tested at advanced ato parts along with the alt and starter. another thing someone was telling me was if the heat from the headers was getting to hot, it could mess with how the starter worked. because after awhile if i would let my car alone for like an hour hour and a half, it would start right up as if it were cool again. but i will check for the voltage drops on those items
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

starter heat soak could be the issue, I put a high torque mini on mine to counteract the issue, 92-95 style
Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
SJPajak
1st Gear Member

thought about doing that because i do have a lot of work done to mine too. thanks for the help and ill see what i can do about it
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Well I doubt you can reach the big starter lug with a booster cable but if you jump it there and it starts. It's time to replace the battery cable.

Negative one is easy to do. Next time you boost it. Connect the neg cable right to the block.

Do you have long tube headers?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
SJPajak
1st Gear Member

no i have shorties. and that might be a little hard to do, i forgot to mention my battery has been relocated to the hatch by choice of the MSD. i just changed the fm soleniod today and it seems like its doing better. ill see how it goes this week
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJPajak
every time i start the car, the battery is drained and i need a jump right away.
If the car runs fine after a jump. Probably means the charging system is ok but if you need a boost EVERYTIME. Battery is probably junk.

Are you boosting it at the battery at the back or at the front right off the solenoid?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
zebo87
2nd Gear Member

sounds like starter heat soak to me also. just because its a new battery doesnt always mean its a good one. def check the cables before you buy a new starter. the one prob you could run into is depending on how long your starter was still engaging when you had the one prob you could have chipped some of the teeth on your flywheel. might want to check that out.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

How can it be heat soak if he has problems starting it EVERYTIME.

Quick Reply: Starting Problem