5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new to mustangs, ive searced an cant find, please help asap,love this sight

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM
93lx5.0maine

Default new to mustangs, ive searced an cant find, please help asap,love this sight

ok i got 93 lx 5.0 t5, cpl questions hpefully you guys can help, first off when u push in the clutch pedal, it makes a loud buzzing sound, almost like power steering type sound, goes away when u let off pedal, i know it needs a throw out bearing because it sqeeks when sitting there, but cant figure out what the noise is when u push the pedal in, is really loud an drives me nuts, second i have a short throw shifter, came with car, when u go take off it rattles like crazy, not sure what it is???? i took it apart greased it up , packed grease into it, an nothing, seems like the adjuster screws are all the way out??? maybe hitting them? where is goes into tranny it has like plastic thing it goes into then slides down into tranny, had some play in it, but i dnt think this would rattle because its not metal on metal?? third when i hit bumps there is loud rattleing banging noise seems to be comeing from the truck area, like inside car, seems loud in back, didnt know if smeone else might had these problems an know comman fixes, one more question, when u turn wheel going slow in like parking lot it like seems like its grabbing the tar an kinda like hitching almost when you turn the wheel sharp, almost seems like tires are slideing alittle bit really weird, never had car do this, im sorry for the long post i hope some people could help me out, thank you so much for your time an help , love this sight)
Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Redneck1465
2nd Gear Member

Best thing I would suggest is to clean up your post. I tried to read through it and without some elementary grammer its hard to tell what your asking. Copy and past it into Word if you need to to help with that stuff.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM
93lx5.0maine

how can you not read that, pretty clear an str8 forward??
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

ok before you get offended and decide you can find a better site, welcome to forum. Your post is a little confusing man, take the time to type out what you're trying to say. It doesn't have to be like an A++++ paper, just take your time. Also be prepared for a lot of smartarse comments until you get the feel for the place. Also, this isn't texting man you have a key board.

Now on to what i could understand from your question
1. Throwout bearing chirp and a whine when you push the clutch in, its your bearing retainer, it causes the throwout to wobble and make a fun noise, it needs to be replaced most likely.
2. shifter rattle, some shifters are just insanely noisy, Mine was recently doing that and i found that my main plate that holds the centering springs down was loose, tightened it a it stopped, but it could just be your shifter is worn out.
3. The rattle in the TRUNK is most likely and improperly installed or worn out strut
4.This last one is what i couldn't understand, I don't know what kind've tires rims you're running but it sounds like they're rubbing

One last thing, when you ask questions, most of the time guys on here will want to know what mods you have, adn they'll help you figure it out if you don't know, things like what rims/tires/intake/cam and so on really help with diagnosing problems. If you ask I'll try and explain all of my answers as best i can.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
93lx5.0maine

ok thank you for the help

93 lx 5.0
headers daul flowmaster think, sounds good
it has what think s a hurst shifter, has a small h on the side of the shifter, rattles really bad when u get on the gas from a stop , or cruising on the interstate at lke 80mph, tryed packing grease down into it wth no help, tightned all the bolts an such, still rattles..

second i found that the rear shock like thing, i think called quad shocks are loose as heck where it bolts to the frame, so id say thats what making noise in the rear of my trunk area..

third, the front end is all stock, rims stock too, i was reading alot an i thnk it has a posi rear end causeing it to like push i guess ud call it???

i know it has gears in it because my speedo is off by 15/20mph, id guess maybe 373's???

hope ths clears it up alittle
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Redneck1465
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to be a dick just trying to let you know so we can help you better. If you look up on the search there is a guide to finding what kind of gears you have in the rear end. As for the shifter rattle do you mean the whole arm plus shifter head is rattling or something else?

Last edited by Redneck1465; 11-07-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

to determine your gear ratio, just support the rear axle, put a mark on the rear of the driveshaft and a mark on the tire, count the number of drive shaft revolutions that it requires to make a full tire rotation (quessing on the decimal places) and there you go.

As far as the shifter rattle goes, NFC, look into a replacement as far as i know?

as far as the traction loc goes, the fact its a posi means that it only locks part of the time, welded rear ends (or posi's that are broken) keep the rear end locked, have a friend drive it adn you watch in a parking lot to see if the tires are slipping
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
93lx5.0maine

yeah id say smeone welded it or ts broken... an as far as shfter goes ill look at it again, if cant fix, guess ill order a new one, whats the best shifter that isnt too much money thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Redneck1465
2nd Gear Member

First things first you need to determine excatly what is rattling. Is it the shifter head? Is it the shifter rod? Is it both? Is it the tranmission that is moving making the shifter head and rod rattle up against the car? Once you determine what excately is making the noise then you'll know where to go.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

the man has a point, leave the cover off of the shifter (the entire one) and have some else drive it and take it down the highway, when he gets up to speed you (in the passenger seat) can look for whats rattling, it could be your trans mount letting it hit something

Quick Reply: new to mustangs, ive searced an cant find, please help asap,love this sight