5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CEL doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
RTW0223
2nd Gear Member

Default CEL doesnt work

So earlier I tried running a KOER test on my '92 5.0 and found out that my check engine light does not work. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

does it light up briefly Ryan when key is in the on position?? if not, check the bulb in the cluster
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

you're better off without it. those lights are a pain in the ***, and drive you crazy sometimes! haha anyway yeah does it light up when you fire it along with the other lights? it could be the bulb.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Nice. It was on so long you burned it out. I hope that happens to my chev soon. It's distracting
Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
Nice. It was on so long you burned it out. I hope that happens to my chev soon. It's distracting
you can always pull it. it takes a little time, but it can be done. my mom gave me my dads 90 suburban after he died. i put it on the road this past summer, and the odometer is broke it broke long ago, and the damn thing probably has over 250k miles on it. he's owned it since it was brand new in 90, and swore the year he died it has 250k maybe 300k miles on it. the service engine soon light comes on every now, and then, and stays on. i've scanned it, and it was just some ****. i don't even remember the codes. i'm hoping that thing will burn out pretty soon cause i get tired of seeing it. i don't worry about it cause i've seldomly had real problems when i've gotten those lights in any vehicle i have had, but it's annoying.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
RTW0223
2nd Gear Member

there was no bulb in the cluster...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RTW0223
there was no bulb in the cluster...
That means that light was on for a while and the previous owner 'fixed' the light problem lmao.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobert
That means that light was on for a while and the previous owner 'fixed' the light problem lmao.
hahahahahahaha nice. i did that with the low coolant bulb. apparently it's a common problem with our years or maybe a lot of fox's i guess. i remember seeing someone post about it on here, and my buddy had a 91 gt years ago, and it wouldn't go off. i remember when it came on over two years ago i got freaked out, because i thought maybe when i changed the thermostat months before i punctured something somehow, and it was starting to leak slow, but then i realized when i was under the hood earlier that day the coolant was full. so after realizing the light just wouldn't go off i just got back there, and pulled it. so now i'll never know if my coolant is in fact low unless i check it haha, but i don't care.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Bowtietraitor

Originally Posted by ponyponer
you can always pull it. it takes a little time, but it can be done...
This absolutely kills me... Guys like me spend thousands on diagnostics so we can fix things the RIGHT way. Even before I had my first scanner I'd just flash the codes & fix whatever system was coding. Did it ever occur to some of you that OBD & OBD-II were developed for a reason?!?! (... and no, not just to get you to the dealer).

If you care about your ride than take the time to fix it right. It preserves the value, & in the event you cannot figure a way to HACK your way through your next repair it'll save you big $$$ if the unlucky tech who gets stuck fixing it doesn't have to unf_#@ whatever you've done first.

On the other hand... If ya'll keep it up than salvage parts for the rest of us will remain readily available.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bowtietraitor

On the other hand... If ya'll keep it up than salvage parts for the rest of us will remain readily available.
lmao

hey if i stubble across a 5.0 at the next all you can carry at the jy then there truely is a god.

But srsly i agree. I light having a cel to tell me when ****s not working good. Efficiency is key, especially with todays gas prices!!

Find those vacuum leaks and broke sensors, dont give up and yank the bulb.

The amount out work it takes to pull the cluster you might as well put that towards fixing your ride.

Quick Reply: CEL doesnt work