5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Charging Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Js88lx
How do you know... Lol?
Lol,Well when i was getting rid of my EFI wiring stuff I went on a cutting spree. And I cut out the red/green stripped wire by accident,yadda,yadda. Well Upgraded to a 3G alt and what have ya come to find out nothing was charging. Did some talking to a guy and found out what I did,just soldered a resistor in line of that wire to take care of it.....was a cluster ***** but she charges like a champ now!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

nice, glad you found problem! Mine is different! Iv noticed that the car does charge but very very low! I noticed when i disconnected my little audio system for a couple. (300watt alpine mono amp pushing 1 rockford hx2 12") my car was turning on in the morning's again, lol ,wtP..., for extra info iv had this system in my past 2 cars which where both an 87gt and an 88lx and never had this stereo system drain a battery as fast as it does in my notch? My electrical system is WEAK!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by Js88lx
nice, glad you found problem! Mine is different! Iv noticed that the car does charge but very very low! I noticed when i disconnected my little audio system for a couple. (300watt alpine mono amp pushing 1 rockford hx2 12") my car was turning on in the morning's again, lol ,wtP..., for extra info iv had this system in my past 2 cars which where both an 87gt and an 88lx and never had this stereo system drain a battery as fast as it does in my notch? My electrical system is WEAK!
Upgrade your main power and ground cables and it won't be.....

3/0 cables...

My positive cable....

Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

wtP.., is that a joke, hahah, that is some funny sheet to look at! LOL Ok ill give it a try...
Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

a joke? I'm no where near being funny.....I'm not going to post something if I don't believe its true or it won't work. Those are my power and ground wires and I will NOT go smaller. Is it slight overkill.... yes but it was free cable I had lying around and I know I will never have an issue.

I have a stock alternator but if you look at my volts gauge it looks like I am running a 3G alternator. It sits 3/4 of the way up the gauge at idle and when driving it will with the head lights on, electric fan running, stereo booming, and heater fan running. Yea it does drop down below half way at idle with all of that going but as soon as you tap the gas the gauge goes back to at least half way. Shut off one of the big drains, headlights, elec fan or heater fan, it will go back to normal.

The EFI system relies heavily on good grounds. Upgrading the wire size and relocating the small ground to a more central location will help out. I relocated a friends battery to the trunk and used the 2/0 cable and not only did it help with his small stereo system he actually felt a difference in the power on his car.....he has a very sensitive butt dyno but it will smooth out how the car runs.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

With my battery in the back I ran 1/0 welding cable up front,and ran 2ga for my alt back to my battery,grounded back at the frame with 1/0,ground from firewall to heads,ground from sway bar mount up front to block. While the car is running I got 14.8volts.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
a joke? I'm no where near being funny.....I'm not going to post something if I don't believe its true or it won't work. Those are my power and ground wires and I will NOT go smaller. Is it slight overkill.... yes but it was free cable I had lying around and I know I will never have an issue.

I have a stock alternator but if you look at my volts gauge it looks like I am running a 3G alternator. It sits 3/4 of the way up the gauge at idle and when driving it will with the head lights on, electric fan running, stereo booming, and heater fan running. Yea it does drop down below half way at idle with all of that going but as soon as you tap the gas the gauge goes back to at least half way. Shut off one of the big drains, headlights, elec fan or heater fan, it will go back to normal.

The EFI system relies heavily on good grounds. Upgrading the wire size and relocating the small ground to a more central location will help out. I relocated a friends battery to the trunk and used the 2/0 cable and not only did it help with his small stereo system he actually felt a difference in the power on his car.....he has a very sensitive butt dyno but it will smooth out how the car runs.
Im not bagging on you, im very thankfull actually!!! Thats a very simple fix!!! HELL YEAH, i will try that out, never had a clue that would help!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If you read through my build thread you will see how I did my wiring. I even upgraded the wire from the solenoid to the starter to a 4GA wire. Basically I made all my power and ground wires and unwrapped every wiring harness on the car to check for any possible issues and retaped them.

If you look at this picture you can see where I centralized the engine bay grounds to a bolt I put in when I redid my front clip....

Most of my interior grounds are bolted to the stud on the trans tunnel where the air bag module is supposed to be.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

nice!! thanks resto83!! Im a little slow sometimes so piks are ecxellent!!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

So this is a stand alone ground from block to fender apron?, aside from the other grounds you did on drivers fender right..? so if i ground all my things to the block on drivers side will i still need to use another ground specifically for the block to theapron on the psngr side? Hope i make sense.