5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

idle and gas starve

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Ruffy

Default idle and gas starve

Hello all!!!! i have a very funny car for you all. it is a 1984 Fiero with a caddy 4.9 motor in it. ok here is the kicker. it has some mustang in it. The computer system is a ford 5.0 H O MAF EEC IV from a 1990 mustang. it does have 2 new O2 sensors.
Ok the problem i am having is it idles rough as heck and likes to stall. also every time i start it up i let the motor run for a good 2 min and then take off. when i get on the highway it seems to starve for gas. what would cause this?

here is a bad video that i took. not enough light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LofqWiOdMu0

any info would be much helpful. thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
wizwrath

wow, trippy!!! You're a little lucky, have both cars, but never in the same body, lol...anyway's, not sure how you got the stang ECU to work with the caddy motor, but I know the stang injectors was a popular upgrade for the caddy motors. I htink you're gonna have to give alot more specs about yoru combo, but the best thing is, can you run a wideband meter? Also a fuel pressure gauge (the caddy fuel rail has a standard port to check fuel pressure) and check the readings while driving, also check for spark issues too.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Ruffy

Originally Posted by wizwrath
wow, trippy!!! You're a little lucky, have both cars, but never in the same body, lol...anyway's, not sure how you got the stang ECU to work with the caddy motor, but I know the stang injectors was a popular upgrade for the caddy motors. I htink you're gonna have to give alot more specs about yoru combo, but the best thing is, can you run a wideband meter? Also a fuel pressure gauge (the caddy fuel rail has a standard port to check fuel pressure) and check the readings while driving, also check for spark issues too.
Im not sure what all specs you need for this build?? im not the one who has built it so i am kinda lost. im not to big on computers and it sucks because i am sooooo lost. as for the spark. i think it is getting good spark. it dont backfire at all. 90% of the time (im old school 1/4 mile) when you have back spark it wont run good and will backfire.
i do have know how on motors but like i said only old school.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

if its never been tuned, it would be a really good place to start
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Ruffy

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
if its never been tuned, it would be a really good place to start
no it hasnt as far as i know. when i talked to the builder he told me its a stock reman computer.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

step #1... find a mustang tuner
Step #2... Get that thing tuned
Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Ruffy

ouch they cost a chunk of $ that sucks because all i need it for is one time and to pay 300+$ for one is unreal
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
N3mi5is

Originally Posted by Ruffy
im not the one who has built it so i am kinda lost. im not to big on computers and it sucks because i am sooooo lost
Thats why it's priced how it is.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Ruffy

Well i checked the classifieds and i cant post in the wanted adds till im a member for 30 days and have 50 posts. i only like to post if i can help others or if i need help therefor im not into being a post hog.
if anyone has a tuner they would rent out or sell for cheap i would love to know
also if i dont find a used one or such what kind of tuner should i look for? there are so many of them with all different prices. i just need something easy to fallow but at the same time price is a big issue.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruffy
Well i checked the classifieds and i cant post in the wanted adds till im a member for 30 days and have 50 posts. i only like to post if i can help others or if i need help therefor im not into being a post hog.
if anyone has a tuner they would rent out or sell for cheap i would love to know
also if i dont find a used one or such what kind of tuner should i look for? there are so many of them with all different prices. i just need something easy to fallow but at the same time price is a big issue.
apparently you misunderstood what I was telling you. You need to bring your car to a mustang performance shop, and have a dyno tune performed.

Quick Reply: idle and gas starve